Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48 Packard 288 fuel pump
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
The new fuel pump fits better but not good.
I’ve installed both bolts and am drawing the pump in. After installing the bolts in I got yhe pump started. It was still about 1/2” away from the blockThe bolts are starting to get real tight with 1/8” space left. So tight I’m afraid of breaking one like before. Should I bump the engine to see if the pressure on the arm will get less? I did not put any lube on the arm.

Posted on: Today 16:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 Packard 288 fuel pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall ever having an issue installing a fuel pump on the inline 8 engines if everything is assembled properly. Normally the arm will just move inward against the spring as you tighten the bolts. Sometimes if the cam is on the high side when the pump is installed you do need to give a fairly strong push against the spring to start the arm and pump moving toward the block to get the pump close enough to start the bolts. If you are having so much difficulty and the arm still has more to travel one thing that comes to mind is bolt length. Could the bolts be too long for the pump you have and are bottoming out? Rebuilt and aftermarket pumps might not necessarily be what Packard used in a particular year and even though the shorter length was only for certain models it might be that you need that combination.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 16:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 Packard 288 fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Something is not right. It should not require force to install the pump.

Posted on: Today 17:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved