Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
50 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 49

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Removing/replacing front, knee action shocks on 49 Custom 8
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It addition to having the jackstand under the lower arm, if you want to be extra cautious, you always chain (or heavy ratchet strap) the lower arm to the frame to prevent it from moving downward, or the frame from moving upwards. That should lock the spring in place.

That how I did it when I replaced the upper pin and kingpin on my 37.

Posted on: 8/6 21:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The thread was from 2022 so I’m sure it’s all been done by now.

Posted on: 8/7 1:58
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Galahad
See User information
Greetings Big Kev,

I am aware that what I will write will reveal how little I know. I hope you will be able to remain patient...

And so, if a jack is under the A frame thingee below the king pin....and if I put another jack under the brake drum, when the eccentric cam is removed from the upper pivot arm( may not be right name), shouldn't the whole assembly remain stable...the brake/spindle cannot move as a jack has it under load; the spring cannot go up as nothing on top that holds it in place has been moved.... I know I am missing the obvious.
And with a jack under the brake drum, would it not be possible to move that assembly as needed to put the eccentric cam back in once the new shocks are in place.?
I do appreciate any further tips. I am also surprised, in a way, no one else has offered perspectives on the "how to" of this as it is probably a common repair.

Thanks for trying to help. Michael

Posted on: Yesterday 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I would suggest you chain the floor jack to the frame and compress the spring or use a spring compressor to control the spring. I always chain the jack, then use the jack to compress the spring. The weight of the custom will not compress the spring. You will find that it is difficult to remove the four bolts that hold the shock, so take that into consideration when you place the chain. The frontend will need to be aligned as it is almost impossible to get the caster and camber set by guessing that the outer attachment is correct. Make sure to buy the rebuilt shocks before you start. Good luck Dell

Posted on: Yesterday 22:45

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved