Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 63

53 Cavalier, calcustom8, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Frame swap under '49 Custom 8?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tristar500
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
I never thought I would say this, but….
Sell the 356 to someone to power their 40-50 Senior. It has value to a restorer.
Use the modern engine already fitted in the truck/Ford chassis, along with the brakes and steering already there
In other words, add Packard body parts to a truck/Ford to create the rod. The mechanical stuff will at least have been designed to work together. All the mechanical parts will be available for service

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm a retired mechanic, now a full-time sculptor. I know how to do all the mechanical stuff but don't have the desire to have an everlasting tinker project at this time in my life.

Yes, I'm seriously considering selling the 356. I'd like to get it sold while it's still in the car so the buyer can start it up and here it run.

Thanks all!

Posted on: Today 18:47
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod
Compressions 8.7:1

'49 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Tristar, take a deep breath, relax, focus. Slow down. You're letting stone simple mechanics--certainly compared with Crown Vic/F-150--whelm you. Listen to PDon and KevinP. They speak the truth. I've mentioned them all before: Mike Grimes at Merritt, (317) 736-6233, ext. 103, mike@packardparts.com, John Ulrich (below), and the others, but make sure Mike Chirco, cell (520) 336-0057, at Tucson Packards ships promptly as the others.
I repeat, Jeff Adkins, Moose Motors has not just brake drums, but every mechanical and electrical part for Packard 1935-56, and drum brake parts for all domestics Auburn through Zephyr: (707) 792-9985, packardguy54@sbcglobal.net. Please tell all these worthies that Mike, '47 Super Clipper, Walnut Creek, CA referred you.

Good drum brakes will stop you quickly as discs, but can fade if racing in the mountains, not that it inhibited Juan Fangio's early South American Andes competitions in a '37 Chevy coupe with a canvas trunk lid to save weight.

Have you priced modern disc parts lately?

I've lamented the 1948-50 tubs, but still think it moronic to turn any vintage, special interest, "Classic," old car into a hodge podge. People routinely depended on Packards like yours for long, fast business trips. Carry an extra set of points. Have a spare fuel pump already boxed and left with your wife or paramour, or both, who can overnight ship anywhere in the US in this day and age. You imagine it'll be easier for some poor sap at a shop in East Jesus, Kansas to figure out what goes where on another Frankencar?

By and large, the fellows involved with "retro rods" are less educated--and less interesting-- than those owning genuine old cars. Run radial tires. Your '48 Custom is with all 356-engined Packards on the 127" wb and a 1941-42 Buick Century/Roadmaster with the rare option 3.6:1 "economy" rear axle, one of the only cars of the '40s that could do an honest 100 off a showroom floor.
What more do you want? Today's greases and full synthetic 10W/30 motor oils are another galaxy better than the premium editions from the 1970s, let alone 1940s.

https://julrichpackard.com/

Ex-Python John Cleese, speaking of someone i can't name because we're not supposed to invoke politics here, earlier this year shook his head and said, "I think we have to accept that 35-40 million Americans are morons."

Do not become one of them, Tristar. We're all here to help.

Posted on: Today 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ross in Parkton MD or Bob's Packard Parts in Marietta PA probably have brake drums lying around.

Again, trying to do a frame swap where you don't end up with a car that looks and drives like an oversize lawn tractor will be quite a trick, and will be a much more difficult and skilled operation than just getting this going. Most of the brake parts are on RockAuto even, btw. These bathtub Packards have the distinction of having the lowest overall parts cost in Packard land, by a slim margin.

I know a guy who did this on a 41 Buick. Doesn't look too bad but it's obviously a rod. But even he had to use parts from at least 2 different cars in that. Some GM V8 engine with a Monte Carlo rear end and he kept the original frame.

Posted on: Today 20:53
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tristar500
See User information
Quote:
More and more, I'm thinking of keeping the frame and original engine. I would be curious about vastly improving the handling with a crown vic or other rack and pinion/disk setup.
My immediate problem is the car is sitting on blocks and I can't move it anywhere, not into the garage, nowhere unless I spend $500 on drums I'm likely not going to use.

Maybe I should just unload the '49 and stick to my art.

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Ross in Parkton MD or Bob's Packard Parts in Marietta PA probably have brake drums lying around.

Again, trying to do a frame swap where you don't end up with a car that looks and drives like an oversize lawn tractor will be quite a trick, and will be a much more difficult and skilled operation than just getting this going. Most of the brake parts are on RockAuto even, btw. These bathtub Packards have the distinction of having the lowest overall parts cost in Packard land, by a slim margin.

I know a guy who did this on a 41 Buick. Doesn't look too bad but it's obviously a rod. But even he had to use parts from at least 2 different cars in that. Some GM V8 engine with a Monte Carlo rear end and he kept the original frame.

Posted on: Today 21:46
He who is without oil shall throw the first rod
Compressions 8.7:1

'49 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved