Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 MOdel 400 Headlight troubles
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fainacci556
See User information
Good morning all. My headlights and dash lights stopped working on a 1955 Model 500. Turn signals and parking & brake lights are all ok..

When the headlight switch is in the on position I hear a sort of click every 8 seconds. I'm thinking that this is the circuit breaker trying to reset.

I guess I'll start with the headlight switch and circuit breaker which I think is one unit. Any other ideas much appreciated. Best MC

Posted on: Today 8:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 MOdel 400 Headlight troubles
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes that's your circuit breaker. First of all do your lights work when the switch is halfway out, all the way out, or neither? Also, make sure the switch is rotated all the way to the left when doing this.

Here is your guide to where the short must be:

When switch is rotated full CCW:
- works when out but not halfway out: front running lights circuit
- works halfway out not all the way: headlights circuit
- works neither: rear running lights circuit

Circuit breaker trips when switch is in either pulled out position and rotated ONE "CLICK" from full CCW: short in map lights circuit

Circuit breaker trips when switch is in either pulled out position and rotated SECOND "CLICK" from full CCW: short in instrument lights circuit

Let us know which symptom you have and we can give some suggestions on the specific location of the problem. DO NOT start gearing into your wiring if you don't know what you're doing. Also, reference the schematics in the electrical section of the 55 service manual in the literature archive to your left.

Posted on: Today 8:58
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 MOdel 400 Headlight troubles
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The breaker is on the back of the headlight switch and is replaceable separately. Napa and most parts stores should have a stud mount type 1 self resetting breaker. In 55-6 it is rated at 20 amps. It is likely there is a short if the clicking starts happening immediately after you turn the lights on but the breakers do age and can lose capacity causing the same on/off symptom. Usually if age is the issue it starts happening after the lights have been on for a few minutes. Even if you find a short causing your problem it might still be worthwhile to change the breaker after you find the problem.

For shorts, the dimmer switch has often been found to be an issue with the breaker tripping so check it out and in addition check for shorts in wiring at two small holes in the fender where the cables going to the headlight buckets pass thru on either side of the engine compt. Also look in the trunk and particularly at the tail lights where wires enter the bulb sockets. The short section of loom that goes side to side is in a trough at the rear of the trunk floor. Sometimes objects have been moving around in the trunk and were forcibly slammed into the tail light housings crushing the wire and causing damage and sometimes small objects have fallen in the trough and the continual rubbing and vibration has worn and damaged a wire in the loom. There is also a wire going to the license plate lamps that could have a problem at its exit thru a small hole in the trough or could have been damaged under the car.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 9:31
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved