Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 82

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Ultramatic Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

longjohn wrote:
Re: Transmission additive. It was a transmission specific product and I'm pretty sure it was by CD-2 but it has been a few years and I may not remember correctly. Maybe it was a Lucas product.

This Lucas product is what I used, which I put in a few hundred miles ago. "Maybe" it's better but not a full cure. A transmission rebuild will be a fun project, so I think I'll go ahead and do that this winter and know that I'm good to go!
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 9/1 15:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I'm just about to pull the ultramatic out of my 53 Patrician parts car to rebuild for my 53 Cavalier. They are identical, correct? 🤔

Posted on: 9/14 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes and even the Clipper's was identical outside the rear yolk being smaller on the junior model.

Posted on: 9/14 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Thank you! I would hate to go to all the work of pulling it out, only to find out that it had some variation from my Cavalier.

Posted on: 9/14 15:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were some running changes made in the DD clutch which may or may not be in either unit so you might want to look thru the service articles. Another is a possible difference in the valve body and governor that you might pay particular attention to. An improved timing kit was made available and is detailed in the service counselor article on page 40. I believe it was factory installed in late 53 units and continued into 54 before the gear start arrived. It was also made available for retrofit in earlier Ultras and possibly one of your units or even both might have it. Important thing would be careful and not swap any valve body parts between the two.

Posted on: 9/14 16:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
My Cavalier is 2672-10903 (8903 of 10799)
My Patrician parts car is 2652-3034 (1034 of 7456)

Would that indicate my Cavalier is more likely to have any upgrades?

I wasn't planning on swapping any parts from one to the other. The idea was to rebuild the transmission from the parts car over the winter so I could just swap them out in the spring.

I spent the afternoon digging through decades worth of Alberta dirt and oil! Transmission is just about ready to come put of the parts car, but the u-joint is going to need some heat, it's stuck!

Posted on: 9/15 0:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If I remember doing my 54, once the u-clips are removed and smack with a mallet loosen the up. Then are not pressed in like the once on my '37, we're.

A good penetrator soak make also help.

Posted on: 9/15 6:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
If I remember doing my 54, once the u-clips are removed and smack with a mallet loosen the up. Then are not pressed in like the once on my '37, we're.

A good penetrator soak make also help.

I've had the drive shaft off my Cavalier when I rebuilt the front joint and replaced the output shaft seal on my transmission. Those were like you said, a few taps and then they would turn and you could work them out. These ones not so easy! As opposed to my Cavalier, I think my parts car spent much of it's life outside.

Posted on: 9/15 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
There were some running changes made in the DD clutch which may or may not be in either unit so you might want to look thru the service articles. Another is a possible difference in the valve body and governor that you might pay particular attention to. An improved timing kit was made available and is detailed in the service counselor article on page 40. I believe it was factory installed in late 53 units and continued into 54 before the gear start arrived. It was also made available for retrofit in earlier Ultras and possibly one of your units or even both might have it. Important thing would be careful and not swap any valve body parts between the two.

Howard, with regards to the redesigned timing valve it looks like this was to improve transmission performance when shifting from low to high. Considering there is little reason to use low gear I don't think I should be too concerned if my transmission has this update. Does that make sense? I'm going to have peruse the other SC's and see if I can find anything else.

This is supposed to be a winter project, but now I want to jump into it!

Posted on: 9/15 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
The service manual mentions marking the flywheel and converter. What is the reason? Are they balanced together or something like that? If I'm swapping transmissions, should I be swapping the flywheels as well?

Posted on: 9/15 9:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved