Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

Two-bit, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Packard Deluxe wiper vacuum hoses
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ernie
See User information
I just purchased a 1951 Packard Deluxe for my wife's birthday. The wiper motor looks to have a place for two vacuum hoses but only has one. Should there be two?

Posted on: 9/20 10:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Packard Deluxe wiper vacuum hoses
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
On the 55 cars there is one port to adjust the wiper travel range, on the front of the motor. The large port on the side is the wiper power. There is a bowden cable controlling a sliding valve up top for the wiper speed.

I don't remember how similar 51 is but I would imagine pretty similar.

There is a thorough explanation of the system routing and operation for a 55 car here.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb ... 8299&post_id=272250#forumpost272250

Note that those diagrams include a windshield washer system, which for a 51 200, was probably not installed.

Posted on: 9/20 10:49
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking at the 49-53 wiper motor from the front of the car, the 1/4" hose connection on the top passenger side is vacuum supply in for the motor. The other hose connection on the top drivers side is used only if the factory windshield washer was installed. That particular washer is operated by the same knob as the wipers. When knob is turned against a spring slightly in the opposite direction to that needed for starting the wipers it moves the valve a small amount and allows a vacuum connection straight thru. Vacuum at the right port will then be at the left port and then on to the washer to start it in operation. Some 48-54 motors have what appears to be a hose connection on the front pointing straight down. That is a vent and can be ignored.

When adjusting the on/off cable from the knob it is important to keep this operation in mind so when the knob is off the valve is truly off when cable is tightened. If there is a slight misadjustment and valve is the least bit out of position the potential for a small vacuum leak thru that extra washer port exists if it is open and unused.

Posted on: 9/20 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ernie
See User information
Thanks guys. You have answered my question. Mine does not have the washer so I can ignore the drivers side of the wiper motor.

Posted on: 9/20 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
This is my 53 with the washer.

I don't know this for certain, but I would think it's a good idea to put a little cap on that port if it's open, just to prevent debris from possibility getting into your wiper motor.

It's important to lubricate your wiper motor periodically as well.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 9/20 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Great and just to clarity, the place I was talking about is shown here under the yellow arrow while the one that Howard was referring to is at the red arrow.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 9/20 21:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved