Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
341 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 339

William Grosz, Ayden.jakob03, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

window crank removal and alignment
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
'39 Packard Six
I would like to align the wing and main window cranks to point in the same direction when the windows are closed. Is there a proper procedure for popping the crank off the door upholstery? I have interior trim removal tools, but am unsure whether the entire crank handles are to be pried-off, or just the arm, leaving the shoulder in place - they look like a 2-piece design. Thanks for any shared insight.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 9/25 12:13
 Top  Print   

Re: window crank removal and alignment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In most if not all models from mid 30s to 1955 the handles are held to their respective shafts by a round pin. You will need to push the chome or plastic escutcheon and/or finish ring that surrounds the handle base in toward the upholstered door panel. There should be a spring behind the ring and it may take a good hard push to get the ring far enough back. Once the ring is pushed back, look for a pin that is flush with the handle base in a location at a right angle to the handle arm. That pin usually can easily be pushed out but on some of the old pot metal that has swelled or corroded due to age it may take some gentle persuasion.. I believe the pins were all 1/8" in diameter but possibly it was different on prewars. You need to hold the finish ring pushed in hard against the upholstery during removal so the pin is clear on both sides and it or the punch tool used to push it out does not damage the ring.

Because the shaft and handle socket is square with no serrations and stop point is also dependent on window travel, there is a good possibility the handles cannot be precisely aligned as you wish to do.

The pin location hole can barely be seen on this illustration from the parts manual.

Posted on: 9/25 12:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To add onto what Howard posted above.... The shafts are usually drilled through on four sides. So the knob can only be oriented in 90-degree increments.

I always orient window knobs so they don't contact my knee when in the window closed position.

It's helpful to have someone push in the escutcheon while you try to wrangle the pin in and out. Usually, removing is much easier than installing. When installing it by myself, I find an awl is helpful. I can push in the escutcheon and, with the knob in the right place, stick the awl through the hole on the opposite side of where I am going to install the pin. That holds everything in position while I get the pin started, and then I can draw the awl out at the same time I push the pin in.

Posted on: 9/25 14:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Totally agree with the help to push in while you adjust and remove and re-add the pin. Without that simply help you are likely to spend way more time and frustration. It should take only a few minutes with help. One thing to be careful on is regarding your moving the window to get to the pin and rotating it a half turn more or less. I replaced my one handle, and was then disappointed b/c I had rotated it and my handle was not in the same forward position as the other front door. (OCD didn't approve) Needless to say it bothered me enough to redo it paying more attention to the rotation position. Good luck getting them the same. My guess/experience is you will be more likely only able to have in the same general direction.

Posted on: 9/25 17:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved