Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 94

Ross, Todd W. White, Ozstatman, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'39 Packard Six - harmonic balancer specs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
Looking to accurately set the ignition timing. Understand that the timing marks are on the flywheel and not easily accessed. Desire to install timing marks on the harmonic balancer using timing tape. Does any forum member happen to know the diameter or circumference of the balancer, or perhaps a retail source of correct timing tape for this application? The engine is the 245ci variety.

Posted on: Yesterday 12:22
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Packard Six - harmonic balancer specs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
Wanted to add an update. Removed the left front wheel and the inner fender splash guard. Found the timing mark peephole - covered in paint or something else equally opaque. First two attempts to scrape it clean unsuccessful.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Yesterday 19:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
In the photo it appears to have some kind of pop out cover over it. I’ve never seen one but that doesn’t mean that the cars didn’t come with it originally to keep water out! Did you try lightly prying inside the outer recess? It looks like that’s what it’s for. Maybe try a brake adjusting spoon.

Posted on: Yesterday 19:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
Packard Don,
Thanks for your reply. I used Mister Acetone to remove the paint from the "peephole" cover. It is in fact just a recessed area of the flywheel housing. It seems to be the same material the engine block is made of - it does respond to a magnet touched to it. There is no apparent lip around it to pry under. Guess I will use the dowel-in-the-#1 spark plug-hole-method to find TDC. I do wonder how many degrees of crank rotation occurs while the piston is dwelling there. I did manage to snake my arms in far enough to measure the diameter of the harmonic balancer; about 6 1/2". Ordered a set of timing tapes from Summit Racing, so I can at least have a point of reference for timing.

Posted on: Today 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That seems to mean that there is no window for some odd reason as I don’t recall ever seeing one with an actual clear piece over it. On all mine, they were just round, open holes but also mine were all 1940, not 1939, in spite the fact that one was installed in my 1939 Six when I bought it!

Posted on: Today 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Most engines had a small, round, pressed sheet metal cover with retainer fingers that plugged into the peephole under the starter. The small indentation at one side of the round depression is there to put a small screwdriver or similar object into to pry the cover off. The area in your picture just under the starter looks EXACTLY like the same area on my 1937 120. The round plug is about the size of a quarter. Try gently prying at the edge of the round area at the small indentation with a small, sharp screwdriver. The plug should come out fairly easily. Refer to the shop manual for information on what the flywheel marks mean.

Posted on: Today 19:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved