Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 1937 Super 8 not restarting when hot
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Joe Santana wrote:
Definitely check the float level. A carb rebuilder with one of the best reputations in the country set my float incorrectly. Because of our confidence in them, we checked everything else, fuel system and electrical system, before checking carb float. We in fact sent it back under warranty and they found their error.
Also I think the coil can act up when hot. A friend swears by new epoxy filled coils, if the float is set correctly and you need a new one.

I replaced my NAPA oil filled coil on my '53 after it leaked out it's oil and made the ignition do all kinds of crazy things. I've had an epoxy filled one on now for most of this driving season and it's good so far, as it should be, it's still new.

Posted on: 10/17 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Most all coils for older applications have the primary terminals marked + and -. Be sure to determine the ground polarity of your car, and connect the coil primary as appropriate. The wire from the coil to the distributor should connect to the primary terminal on the coil that corresponds to the car's ground polarity. The coil will work either way, but it will work better if the polarity is correct.

Posted on: 10/17 19:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

PackDan
See User information
While screwing around with the coils, I found the armored cable from the ignition is pretty degraded. So I took a piece of plastic tubing and shoved it as far in as it would go, put a new ring connector on and she seems to be wanting to fire up better.
So we went for a drive, about 2 hours in, she started over heating and pushing coolant out of the radiator cap. The overflow tube is open and clear. So, we limped it home. While the RPMs are up, she cooled down a smidge, at stops the temp shot back up and overflowed. Back at the shop we opened the radiator cap (knowing it's not a pressurized system), and it shot out like a geyser. So, it now looks like I have much larger fish to fry. I will be draining and flushing the system, checking the water pump, and the dist. tube. It was a huge surprise to open the radiator and have a geyser. Temps ran about 190 (on the gauge) then shot to 215-220 when she was boiled over. Oh, I also have to check and see if the previous owner put a thermostat in it and remove it.

I want to say thank you to the members here, you have all been very helpful to guy who is still learning about these fantastic vehicles.

Posted on: 10/21 9:34
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

PackDan
See User information
No thermostat, so that's good. How are you guys removing the lower radiator hose. It's not even 6 inches long and crammed down in there between the oil cooler and the radiator. Would it be easier to unbolt the water inlet and flush through that?

Posted on: 10/21 12:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

tom abel
See User information
no thermostat that's bad. the job of the thermostat is to keep coolant in the radiator long enough to cool off and then open at the precies temperature to keep the engine cool.too many times people remove the thermostat thinking a car will run cooler but it only masks another problem such as a plugged up radiator or other issue.

Posted on: 10/21 18:26
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The late 30's Super 8's did not have thermostats originally. That's how they were designed. Adding a thermostat can lead to unintended consequences in these cars. That was one (of several) issue that led to my dad's '38 Super having a cracked block. Thus began our 7 yr adventure of trying to source a good block for rebuilding.

-Kevin

Posted on: 10/21 19:07
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
But they did have thermostatic shutters!

Posted on: 10/21 19:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

PackDan
See User information
I am hoping that it's not the block, considering it's a '37. I saw other posts about the '38 having issues with the castings. Also the shutters work perfectly, with the proper 175 degree thermostat. We do have a bad feeling about the water pump though.

Posted on: 10/21 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

PackDan wrote:
I am hoping that it's not the block, considering it's a '37. I saw other posts about the '38 having issues with the castings. Also the shutters work perfectly, with the proper 175 degree thermostat. We do have a bad feeling about the water pump though.

'38 had the bad blocks. '37 and '39 were fine. I'd be surprised if the block itself cracked. When that happened on our '38 it was instant loss of power, sputtering, and blowing water out the exhaust. Of course it matters where the crack takes place, but I'd think it would be different symptoms than what you had.

It could be a blown head gasket forcing exhaust gas into the cooling system.

Posted on: 10/21 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Just so you know, the exact same thing happened to me with my 1953 327ci that is in my 1937 120. It was on a trip home that she started to boil, I did the same thing and took off the rad cap as it was 'unpressurized' and experienced 'old faithful', so much so it was hard to find the rad cap!
What I have found since is it acted like a wonderful cleansing sneeze. You see mine had sat for decades and the water jacket had become a mouse condo. Extensive cleaning was done but there was still rust and some residue after she actually was breaking in. That explosive session has had no repeat. The new coolant has shown to be clear and the operating temperature fluctuates within a range of 185-195 degrees F, warming up in traffic and dropping once under way so it may not be as dire as you think. The 'flush' may have already taken place with your geyser and the use of straight water and some more running will let you know next steps before you perform any drastic surgery.
Just my 2 cents
Bob J.

Posted on: 10/22 8:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
AACA Fall Meet (Hershey)
10/06/2025 - 10/10/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved