Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Adapting a Holden Water Pump
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Goingbush
See User information
I have 5 x Packard 288 engines to pick and chose parts from to build one good engine for a Speedster project.

I have one later style water pump & it won't suit the 48 engine I want to use as it's in the way of the front engine mount. Quick look online & water pumps are AU$285 plus $261 shipping. Look on shelf & see a $35.00 Holden 6 Water pump. (Australian version of Chevy Stovebolt) The impeller and hose inlet size compare with the Packard pump, cant see a problem with this apart from potential cavitation issues. The bypass hole lines up too.

I willneed to make a larger wide belt pulley to suit the crankshaft pulley as the Holden pulley is narrow and diameter is too small.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but here are my modification images.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 10/25 22:35
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Adapting a Holden Water Pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting idea if it works and definitely cheaper than a repro pump. There were two style pumps for that block the main difference being in the later casting which moved the fan and pulley down due to the much lower radiators in 51-4 cars.

Is the water distribution tube intact, clean, and in good shape the entire length? A dirty or damaged distribution tube slowing water down or letting it leak out somewhere instead of squirting on the exhaust valve seats the full length has been found to be the cause in many an overheating engine.

Posted on: 10/25 22:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Goingbush
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Interesting idea if it works and definitely cheaper than a repro pump. There were two style pumps for that block the main difference being in the later casting which moved the fan and pulley down due to the much lower radiators in 51-4 cars.

Is the water distribution tube intact, clean, and in good shape the entire length? A dirty or damaged distribution tube slowing water down or letting it leak out somewhere instead of squirting on the exhaust valve seats the full length has been found to be the cause in many an overheating engine.

Good point, the block is surprisingly free of rust and scale, the water distribution tube is brass and slid out easily, unlike the Dodge six flatheads I fixed up where the tubes were rusted in & came out in small pieces.

Posted on: Yesterday 5:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Yer but. Some poor B will end up with your car and have a water pump issue and wonder what the heck is going on. It sounds good but I would recommend that you put a repair kit through your existing pump. It would also be a good idea to convert the 288 to the 327 and bore it out 60 thou. Good luck anyway. I may have some parts if you need same.

Posted on: Yesterday 6:06
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Goingbush
See User information
Quote:

Peter Packard wrote:
Yer but. Some poor B will end up with your car and have a water pump issue and wonder what the heck is going on. It sounds good but I would recommend that you put a repair kit through your existing pump. It would also be a good idea to convert the 288 to the 327 and bore it out 60 thou. Good luck anyway. I may have some parts if you need same.

Any poor B that buys any of my cars knows they are fully custom built & nothing is original or standard.
I'm in Australia . Everyone here knows what a Holden water pump is & I'm sure they will be happier to pay $45 at any corner auto store than import a repro pump.

The Packard engine I'm fixing up is going into a '29 Chrysler frame with a custom built speedster body . Its stupid to bore a good STD block out to 60 over to get what , another 5 cubes , yeah thats going to make a difference, not. Now if anyone wants to rebuilt it needs to be sleeved. I prefer 288 over 327 , slower piston speed wins for me.

Posted on: Yesterday 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Goingbush wrote:
Quote:

Peter Packard wrote:

Any poor B that buys any of my cars knows they are fully custom built & nothing is original or standard.
I'm in Australia . Everyone here knows what a Holden water pump is & I'm sure they will be happier to pay $45 at any corner auto store than import a repro pump.

The Packard engine I'm fixing up is going into a '29 Chrysler frame with a custom built speedster body . Its stupid to bore a good STD block out to 60 over to get what , another 5 cubes , yeah thats going to make a difference, not. Now if anyone wants to rebuilt it needs to be sleeved. I prefer 288 over 327 , slower piston speed wins for me.

Yes a lot of people do prefer the high revving 288's over the luggable 327's.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:06
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
A 327 with OD or a 3.75 ring & pinion would be nice... 327 & OD with a 4.09 in a 120 would be sweet. Most displacement is in the stroke, so I'd limit any boring as far as practical.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Good luck with your project. Please post updates as you proceed.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:38
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
How about a 327 with overdrive and a 4.7? That’s what my 1951 has but of course it weighs three tons too.

Posted on: Today 1:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
AACA Fall Meet (Hershey)
10/06/2025 - 10/10/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved