Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Packard Clippers Wiper Control button Sizzles
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Neatsfoot oil or "vacuum oil" works well for lubrictating the the leater seals on the wiper paddlw

Posted on: 10/17 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Here you go

Posted on: 10/19 19:01
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

HotRodKid56
See User information
Thank You I think that is my Problem because if the motor is in I need Pliers to even turn that knob I think there might be some rust and dirt in Linkage because last time when the car was even Registered was March 1997 I when I checked the google maps it have been sitten for a years some guys back yard with bunch of cars for a years

Posted on: 10/21 7:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you remove the wipers and motor then the system should have basically zero drag.

To remove the wiper, pull on the base of the arm parallel to the surface of the windshield so the plastic follower on the arm clears the metal guide. The pull the wiper straight off the shaft.

Posted on: 10/21 9:33
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

HotRodKid56
See User information
Okay the Reason is found Right side of the wipers has too much Drag and the Drag is into saft we tried to lubricated it with my Friend but it still drags too much so Before I broke enything I want to ask ssome help how I can take this apart

Attach file:

jpg  20241027_184401.jpg (3,088.70 KB)
227117_671e880b2dfa8.jpg 4608X2592 px

Posted on: Yesterday 13:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a Trico assembly with wire ropes embedded in the drive and all pressed together as a unit when built at Trico. Some have tried taking them apart for rechroming or repair and it seems not many have met with success in being able to put them back together properly and still work. I realize being overseas makes it more difficult but unfortunately most need to find another one in better condition if repair or rechroming is needed.

Before trying to take that piece apart have you verified that a cable has not slipped off of a pulley groove on the tensioner and is caught behind the pulley and now binding. Too much tension on the wire ropes is also a cause for hard movement.

There is a bit on servicing the wipers in the instrument section of 55-6 service manual.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Yesterday 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is difficult to get oil onto the shaft on those wiper bases because of the cup shape of the drive knob. If I don't want to take the base off, I drill a very small hole right next to and parallel to the shaft and then flow in light weight oil while turning the knob back and forth. On the 55-56 wiper bases the rear shaft bushing can be oiled by letting oil run down the back of the housing while pulling the knob in and out.

If you decide to remove the bases for service, just drop the whole unit in a pan of light oil and then work it back and forth til it is free. This is your best course as you can take the tensioners off also and do the same thing with them. Then you are good for another 69 years.

Posted on: Yesterday 15:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
AACA Fall Meet (Hershey)
10/06/2025 - 10/10/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved