Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Windshield wipers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH I misspoke about the screws, the coordinator has the bleed screw on the back as you described and the second "screw" is the shaft that can be adjusted by turning the end clip. I removed it and attached the cable as instructed, the blades came off easy with some plastic tipped pliers, tried to park the wipers but parking is turning them off when they are at the bottom of the glass correct (nothing automatic). It took me three tries to get the wipers adjusted so they don't bang the bottom of the glass... now that that is done they won't turn off again. Waiting for her to cool down a bit to fiddle some more, the control cable appears ok but rather a tight turn through the firewall. Will try to find another location. Attached are a couple of pictures. Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (27.13 KB)
1057_4a61f9660d7a6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.47 KB)
1057_4a61f9adf3d0b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.24 KB)
1057_4a61f9bea6a68.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/18 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parking is automatic when knob is all the way to left and slide all the way to drivers side. The blades should pull down the 2 or 3 inches from bottom of normal sweep range to the top of chrome molding.

Something doesn't look right in your last picture. Can't tell on the second but on third, unless it is camera angle & optical delusion, the little washer on the end of co-ordinator wire looks like it is in wrong position & preventing the slide from moving further to drivers side. It should be inside the slotted area with end of wire like your first picture so it can pull the slide back when co-ordinator quits. IIRC, you have to pull out & hold against the spring in co-ord so there is enough slack to fit it in.

If it is correct, then something must be binding in the co-ord bracket preventing it from going extreme off. On mine, the motor will stop moving with slide at about 1/16 to 3/32" away from metal but the vacuum passage opening to the park position is very small. Again, on mine plastic slide has to be almost touching the metal like picture l before it uncovers it & allows blades to park.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Pic 504 is the current configuration the other two pics are before I took off the coordinator. With the knob all the way left and the slide all the way left (with or without) the cable it will just stop in the middle of the arc (never in the same place) with or without the wipers blades on. The system has never "parked". I guess she's not that kind of girl.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It should park. No other hoses to motor except the 1/8 hose connected between motor front & wiper switch & wiper switch to the tee fitting in hose just before motor-correct?

Suggest you pull the motor off car & move the slider all the way to the metal. Loosen the screw holding the cable if you have to in case wire is a tad long. The motor should move to park so the rectangle that engages the wiper mechanism is maybe 10-15 degrees off horizontal. The rivet will be just above the motor -- exactly opposite plus a few degrees to position shown in your pictures. That position looks to be almost full sweep up. If it does not do that park move off car, it's time for a call to Ficken & have it made right. If it does park, then remove blades if you put them back on & move the wiper mechanism so rectangles will mesh & install blades so they are flat on chrome.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'm trying to follow along here but I'm confused (nothing new... confused is my normal state nowadays). In pictures 501 and 503 it appears that the cable from the control knob is slotted into the slider using the upper (closest to firewall) slot. In picture 504 (current configuration) it is connected in the lower slot. Shouldn't it be in the upper slot?

Other than that, I concur with HH56... see if it parks by manually manipulating the slider without the cable connections. If it doesn't, call Ficken.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 17:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Shouldn't it be in the upper slot?

There is only one slot for the control wire in the motor slide located toward the front and the lower slot.

Without the co-ordinator that is used for the switch and is also the retainer toward the front.

With the co-ordinator installed, that now takes the slot and controls the motor as the switch would by extending its wire and pushing/pulling the slide. The clamp holding co-ord on also has an arrangement that lets the entire co-ordinator as an assembly move with the slide.

The cable from switch is now arranged in the upper retainer so wire pushes against slide as usual to turn motor on. Slide drags co-ordinator along because it has the slot and a healthy spring load on the co-ord piston won't let it move alone. When turning off by switch, there is no slot so the cable pulls against a piece attached to co-ord, pulling it back and because it has the slot, also the motor slide.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Dazed and confused and all. I am in the same boat. Removed motor and let it park which it did, reattached the motor to the rectangular plate and installed only one wiper (I have had them on and off a dozen times) and it does park but in the up position. Attached them in the down position and they hit the bottom and make a grinding noise. Otherwise they work great. Two problems come to mind, the rectangular plate on the motor is upside down (not likely as they have been doing this for some time) or the plate on the car is upside down (which is more likely), so up is down. Attached are a couple of photos to cipher upon.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.97 KB)
1057_4a6276374818d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.06 KB)
1057_4a62764a176fe.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/18 20:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's starting to sound like the cables are installed incorrectly on the drive under the dash and everything is 180 out. Check out the procedure in manual, Instruments section page 4 & 5 and parts book, plate 43. Verify the cable placement and direction is correct.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH I am afraid that you were going to say that. Back under the dash I go. %#$%@(*&^!!!

Posted on: 2009/7/18 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
HH Now that I remember while standing on my head under the dash, the cables seemed odd with one crossing over the other. Have plate 43 but don't have the instrument section 4-5. # 43 shows it clear. How do the ends clip on the shaft from the motor?...please say something easy.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 20:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved