Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

Pete '56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: straight 8 in a '56
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Mike

Sometimes the Chey guys are impressed with my very original '50 Eight when I hang around the car with the hood open. After 5 or 10 minutes of "what's that and what's that" they get quiet and start thinking. I then tell them it's been on a number of very long trips. That's when I start the engine ( 2 revolutions on 6 volts to get running) and then they see how smooth it is.

You can see the see the light bulb go on

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/12/16 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
"why anyone would want to" ... as I said I love straight 8s, and once you get old you don't care so much about going fast..
one of the benefits of age & experience, not in such a rush all the time... you learn to smell the roses!

Excellent firewall pics, many thanks HH! I can see it would not be an easy or straightforward swap.... hmmm, so maybe a Packard six?... just kidding!

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would like to see a dual carb'd Packard Twelve in a '56 Patrician, hooked up of course to the pushbutton Ultra. THAT would be a neat car!

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Might be easier to hang a 56 front clip on a 54.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
But then you lose the wraparound windshield.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 19:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The 55/56 Firewall appears to have a road map pressed into where you need to cut. Just a simple matter of cutting along the lines and recessing it. The question is what is behind the firewall in that location on the 55/56s.

I agree that it would be easier if you had a 51-54 parts cars to splice the firewall from, and also the frame motor mounts. Plus you may need a few other pieces to get everything to connected.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 20:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Well, made an agreement to buy an Exec today, but it'll keep the original 352, I do like the V8s as well. My old '56 Pat also had a 352, so it must have been a transplant, and it had a FLOOR shift UltraMatic! Someone just cut a hole in the tunnel and rigged up a crude shifter...must have had some electric push button problems! Anyhoo, THIS one will stay all stock, except possibly for brake system dependability improvements.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Its strange.Why would you want to put a Straight 8 in a 56 Packard when you can take your pick of any straight 8 from 1924 to 1954.I see people on this Web sight (and I will not mention Eric's name) that hate BTV, Drum brakes,Twin Ultramatic, Packard V8 oil pump and they drive a V8 Packard.If they hate them so much,why not buy a 57 DeSoto Fireflite with a hemi that already has Torqflite and a good oil pump and PB system?

Posted on: 2009/12/19 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't hate the BTV, drum brakes, Ultramatic, or the V8 oil pump by any means. I'm the advocating to keep the Ultramatic when people want to swap it out, drum brakes are fine for most driving, and the V8 oil pump has been solved without major intrusion on originality. Heck, even the BTV has a amicable solution to most. Why don't you leave my name out of it? I'm not that big of an a**hole!

Posted on: 2009/12/19 19:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That's what happens when you beat a drum incessantly, but let's ALL remember the #1 rule.

Packards were automobiles built by Gentlemen for Gentlemen. So lets all try to live up to that heritage.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 19:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved