Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

straight 8 in a '56
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
What would it take to put a straight 8 in a '56 Patrician? I know the body is basically the same as 51 to 54... is it a straightforward install with a manual trans? I love flatheads!

Posted on: 2009/12/15 20:09
 Top  Print   

Re: straight 8 in a '56
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
56 Executive the V8 engine sets 1-1/4 to 2 inches closer to the right side of the frame to clear steering gear. This is not uncommon among V8's. So keep that in mind when fitting the streight-8.

Also the torsion bars mite present problems for exhaust routing.

I assume the streight 8 has a much longer stroke that the V8. So need to keep the centerline of crankshaft at about the same level as where the V8 crankshaft is so that prop-shaft angularity does not change much. The deeper crankcase mite present problems for that.

IIRC the 8 is 300 pounds heavier than the V8 so front torsion bars mite not be stiff enuf.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 20:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
A Packard straight eight measures 41.5" from rear of head to end of fan, add at least 1" in the rear for clearance and 2" in the front for fan to radiator clearance and you end up with 44.5", make it a round 45" for safety's sake. I don't think it'll fit very well. The firewall appears further forward in the V8 cars than the straight eight cars, but this may be an optical illusion because of the wraparound windshield. I agree, straight eight's are cool, and I love 'em completely, but I don't think it'll be an easy task to do. I CAN be done, by putting an indentation in the firewall to clear the rear of the engine, but this causes a host of other problems with stuff under the dash. If I were doing engine swaps with Packard engines into other models of Packards, I'd be putting V8's in '54 and back cars.

A '42 and back Packard Six with a dual quad V8 and a 4 speed would be the cat's meow! Put it on a '56 Clipper T/L chassis and it would be the coolest thing out there.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Guys

You're missing the boat.

Packard Straight 8 in a "57 Chevy

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/12/15 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Packard Straight 8 in a "57 Chevy

Now thats something I would almost pay admission to see and listen to the Chevy guys.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I'd be interesting to see if the firewalls were different between 51-54 and 55-56, seeing that Teague did a re-style on the cheap re-using the basic 51 design with new windshield and front & rear end look but retaining what was in between, if I recall correctly.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 16:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry I don't have better pictures but this might give an idea of basic differences. Top is a 54 and bottom is 56. Aside from a few opening changes for wiring & grommets, main difference seems to be the depth of engine clearance area.
The large rect opening & small odd one underneath on 56 drivers side is for fact AC--won't be there on other cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.91 KB)
209_4b295c8fccade.jpg 1118X675 px

Posted on: 2009/12/16 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It looks like someone could swap firewalls and the front part of the floorboards and make it work. It's still dubious to me as why anyone would want to.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 17:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also remember what between 54 and 55 they went from Briggs building the bodies to Packard building there own. So there could be other subtle difference.

The frames were all made by AO Smith, and the 55 frame looks almost exactly like the 54. I think in 56 they stopping using the small crossmember at the very front of the frame.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 17:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
im all about a Packard engine in a Chevy! that would be awsome if for no other reason than to show off to the chebby guys!

Posted on: 2009/12/16 18:27
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved