Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hot Air Heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Attached (hopefully) are photos of the hot air heater register in the rear passenger compartment. Also an attachment to the firewall in the engine comaprtment. All I have as the car is 30 minutes away and my camera batteries died.

O-D, are you familiar with this? I looked and could not find any markings or writing on the pieces. I don't know if this is similar to Bill Wurts set up on his 39 Super 8.

Attach file:

jpg  (180.10 KB)
769_4b7b2343e0731.jpg 1280X961 px

jpg  (152.36 KB)
769_4b7b236e1f351.jpg 1280X961 px

Posted on: 2010/2/16 18:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Hot Air Heater
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I'm quite familiar with the item in your first picture. Did you take a look at the pictures of the 1937 Kelch rear floor register over on PAC forums? Looks identical to your photo to me and I believe this style rear register was used 37 thru 39. I also believe that 36 and prior used a cast aluminum floor register in the front and then when defroster dash outlets became common, they switched to the stamped steel front register on the cowl, with defroster deflector, also pictured in my Kelch article.

Shame so few have survived, some years back I got a letter from a gentleman in the UK who had a 34 Super Eight with an intact original and still functioning Kelch heater.

Since I wrote the article back in 2000, I've come to the conclusion that the heat exchanger tubes were made of monel.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Dave,

I haven't had a chance but will look at the pictures in the PAC forum very soon. Is the article you wrote also posted there?

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is the article you wrote also posted there?

Yes, I posted the entire article. I've learned a few drips and drabs more since 2000, but not enough yet to consider doing a follow-up. So I'm still interested in new information on the subject.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave,
I would suspect that the gentleman you had contact with was a Mr Peter Bolton who sadly passed away last year. I have actually seen his car and the kelch heater which is still working fine.
The car was bought from an auction by a gentleman that lives in Norfolk UK.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/2/17 1:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, your suspicions are confirmed, it indeed was Peter Bolton and I'm so sorry to hear of his passing, we exchanged quite a few letters over the years on the subject of Packards.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Sorry, just too good to pass up. "Hot air heater. Whats that for? Hot air doesn't need any heating!"

Posted on: 2010/2/17 12:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
'Cuz if we called it a "cold leg heater" it would sound funny :)

Posted on: 2010/2/17 13:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A question for O_D. Looking at the blower picture on the 39 thread and the catalog and PAC article brings a question of where the air supply is from. It appears to just be drawing air from the area around the engine rather than from outside the car. I would think that would bring in some impressive fumes to the heated air or is that incorrect. It also appears to be a fairly small diameter tubing and blower so how much air flow is actually present and is it enough to do the job adequately in such a large car.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 13:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved