Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

jgrohn, DStone417, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 124 125 126 (127) 128 129 130 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jeremy, on a '52 the fill and dipstick are under that car. I think the completely dry capacity is 12 qts total. But draining the converter and pan, the refill takes approx 11 qts. Basically, you fill with 7 qts, run the motor at 800 rpm for a few minutes to fill the convertor, and the top off with another 4 (or until full mark on the dipstick with the car idling). On Ross's advice I used 2 qts of lucas transmission fix to 9 qts of Type F. Still need to road test, but I have been busy with other under car tasks.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 12:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy B
See User information
appreciate it! Going wrenching right now

Posted on: 2011/6/3 12:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For next time. You will still have to crawl under to check the dipstick but just to top off or even to fill, regular Ultras can be done via the vent cap on top. By moving the seat back and pulling the carpet away, there is an inspection plate on the hump directly over the breather. Unscrew the plate and breather and use a funnel. Pouring fluid in saves having to do the pump and all that hassle. Just be careful and make sure the carpet is well out of the way.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 12:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On the subject of the grease fittings on the end cap. There are actually several suppliers out there that make them in that style. A casual internet search showed that AC-Delco has many applications where the grease fitting is in one of the end cap. The reason given for this is easier access to the grease fitting. One of the applications listed was '76-2002 Camaro U-Joint. Also a lot of Dodge trucks replacement joints show this style of fitting from several different manufactures.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 12:58
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A little update on the '54:

Installed the new U-Joint C clips yesterday, thanks to Jim for those. Also over the weekend I rechecked the valves as I though one of them was loose and wasnt keeping it's adjustment. Turns out it was fine and didn't back off like I thought it did. The "ticking" noise I was hearing was from a loose vacuum line clamp that was causing of the wiper vacuum hard-lines to vibrate against the block, mimicking the dreaded "Klack" noise. Tightened that up, and also reinstalled the fuel pump heat shield while I was in there.

Car went for a 10 mile test drive yesterday, mostly though the neighborhood, but speeds up to 55mph at certain points. U-joint stayed together, so I must have done something right.

Ultra seams to be shifting a little smother between low and convertor when in GS mode. Still no DD lock-up that I can feel. While in non-gs mode, I heard the RPMs drop at one point while accelerating, but it was very soft. So not sure if that was the DD clutch locking up or not. But I will drive it for now and enjoy while I can until it stops running, or a rebuilt GS lands in my lap.

I cant believe how much the car rattles with all the weather stripping out of the car, and all the interior removed. Sounds like someone shaking a can of pennies in the car while driving.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 11:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
A little update on the '54:

The "ticking" noise I was hearing was from a loose vacuum line clamp that was causing of the wiper vacuum hard-lines to vibrate against the block, mimicking the dreaded "Klack" noise. Tightened that up, and also reinstalled the fuel pump heat shield while I was in there.

Ultra seams to be shifting a little smother between low and convertor when in GS mode. Still no DD lock-up that I can feel. While in non-gs mode, I heard the RPMs drop at one point while accelerating, but it was very soft. So not sure if that was the DD clutch locking up or not.

Kev, So I take it that "ticking" noise was the one that started all the speculation back when you first got it running. Amazing how these noises will show up in weird places. Good for you for being patient.

Your comment on the Ultra brings up a question: Since it has gear start and a direct drive clutch, just what is different about the "Twin Ultra?" You even mentioned a "non-gs" startup mode, just like the twin.

Your earlier pic where you showed the back and top of the front seat with its seat cover took me down memory lane. This blue-and-white style with silver piping was the standard seat cover that was put on our old '55 Clipper Custom back in the day, after my brother and I had spilled enough ice cream on the upholstery... if you ever show the front and bottom of the seat, I could probably confirm the match. That seat cover was probably bought around 1960-62.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 19:25
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well the original ticking noise was a too-loose lifter. But one of the lifters has an adjuster lock that is a lot looser than the others. So when the ticking noise returned, I assumed that the adjuster had backed off.

Those seat covers came off of ebay, and they were NOS in the box. I figured late 50's era based on the box markings.

A '54 Gear Start is essentially a Twin-Ullta (more similar to a 55 one) but it fits the straight-eight bell-housing. The repair and adjustment information for the Gear-Start is actually in the 55-56 manual.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 20:20
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
A '54 Gear Start is essentially a Twin-Ullta (more similar to a 55 one) but it fits the straight-eight bell-housing. The repair and adjustment information for the Gear-Start is actually in the 55-56 manual.

THANKS! Great info, Kev, and clears up a real mystery for me.

Quote:
Those seat covers came off of ebay, and they were NOS in the box. I figured late 50's era based on the box markings.

I'd like to see more of the seat covers, because I'm pretty sure I sat on some just like them all through my "formative" years. Memory lane.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 23:48
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Guy,

Here are the pictures of the seat covers that I am temporarily using as upholstery while the car is under renovation. The good upholstery is pallet wrapped and stored under a blanket to keep it clean up until all the body work and paint is complete.

These pics show the seat covers, which I hog-ringed to seat frames after rebuilding the foam base. The last picture is the box them came in. The are a nylon type material so nothing stains them, and everything can be wiped pretty much right off.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.99 KB)
1_4dfa30fc0e26e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.64 KB)
1_4dfa315297476.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (77.44 KB)
1_4dfa31752452d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.41 KB)
1_4dfa317de33ac.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/6/16 11:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks Kev, they're pretty close, but ours were strictly vinyl with a little texture, not woven.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 21:29
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 124 125 126 (127) 128 129 130 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved