Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

FirstEliminator, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Removing Steering Column--1941 Packard One-Twenty
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is also a KM Packard Tools Book here on the website that has illustrations of most of the speciality tools.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 11:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
what about disconecting the pitman arm from steering link might be easy to work on, take complete steering etc up into cab and out?,good-luck.
Bill.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 12:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Packard 38 Coupe,
that wire-spring? top of gearchange comes out! it is just a pushed fit some penetrating oil may be needed.then you can clean the tube out once you remove the spring at the bottom of column.
Bill.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 12:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CACHman
See User information
Okay guys, with your help and advice, the steering column has officially been removed from the Packard. After my debacle Sunday with the steering wheel puller, I ended up retapping the two holes, and the 5/16" bolts fit nicely in the new holes. After completing the installation of the steering wheel puller, we tightened the bolt, and the wheel came off perfectly.

I also rented the pitman arm puller and was able to disconnect the pitman arm without a problem. With both the arm and the steering wheel disconnected, the column slid right out of the car. I've confirmed that there are no connection points left between the body and frame, and the car will be blasted in October. Thanks again for all of your help, and I know that I'll be posting more topics as I struggle through the restoration of the One-Twenty.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.26 KB)
4006_4e83ac5755dfb.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (55.96 KB)
4006_4e83ac63d38b9.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (66.47 KB)
4006_4e83ac6d8723c.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/9/28 18:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved