Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 196

Joe Krzan, jsa03781, Ozstatman, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Removing Steering Column--1941 Packard One-Twenty
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CACHman
See User information
I'm restoring a 1941 Packard One-Twenty, and I am pretty much ready to ship the car off for frame-off media blasting. My only hang up is that I have been unsuccessful in removing the steering column from the car. Right now, I have the cover off of the gear box and can see the two worm gears that rotate when the wheel is turned. On the underside of the gearbox is a 1&7/16" nut that I have removed, but the gear box will not slide off of the rest of the steering arms.

Does anybody know how to disconnect the gearbox from the steering mechanism or to remove the steering column from the gearbox? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures and more information on the car will be posted in the "project" section this evening.

Sam Beck

Posted on: 2011/9/4 16:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Steering Column--1941 Packard One-Twenty
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Sam,
to PackardInfo. Probably just needs some "persuasion" in the form of a hammer and/or lever to break the grip between the shaft and the arm. Obvious question, the steering box is unbolted from the frame?

And, besides the pic's and info in a Project Blog, I invite you to include your '41 120 in the Packard Owner's Registryyour

Posted on: 2011/9/4 16:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Sam, welcome to PackardInfo.com.

Quote:
...Does anybody know how to disconnect the gearbox from the steering mechanism or to remove the steering column from the gearbox? Any information would be greatly appreciated...

That's the link to the 1935 - 1941 parts list, section "steering & suspension". Not sure if it shows your specific steering gear but it wouldn't be a common method to remove the steering column from the steering gear to get the body off. Pull the pitman arm from the shaft or, if that really isn't possible then disconnect the arm from the linkage and as Mal (Ozstatman) already mentioned, unscrew the box from the frame.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.29 KB)
757_4e63f846200b0.jpg 447X605 px

Posted on: 2011/9/4 17:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CACHman
See User information
Thanks for the help. Here's what I'm looking at in regards to the gearbox.

Attach file:

jpg  (138.91 KB)
4006_4e640e8275260.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/4 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't say for sure but that column looks very similar to the 47--maybe without the turnsignal switch.

If so, then steering box stays intact and the entire shroud slides up off the shaft. Your clamp on the bottom is already loose and if the gearshift is similar then that appears also out of the way. Look at the top of the column and see if there is a lock ring around the steering shaft sort of recessed into the bearing (round wire silver colored ring with split in this photo). If so, remove that and with any clip or retainer around the gearshift shaft removed and the midway under dash clamp loose, the shroud should slide off. Once that is off, then the box and shaft will unbolt from the frame and if car is high enough, can be worked down and out the opening.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.87 KB)
209_4e641256b44f1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.72 KB)
209_4e64125f7c66c.jpg 591X640 px

Posted on: 2011/9/4 19:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...to ship the car off for frame-off media blasting...

Howard (HH56), for media blasting he would have to unscrew the box anyway. I would go the below shown way. Or is it not possible to get the box through the firewall?

Attach file:

jpg  (21.23 KB)
757_4e641633aaff8.jpg 400X399 px

Posted on: 2011/9/4 19:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Quote:
...to ship the car off for frame-off media blasting...

Howard (HH56), for media blasting he would have to unscrew the box anyway. I would go the below shown way. Or is it not possible to get the box through the firewall?

Agree the box should come off for blasting. I don't know if the floor plate opening is large enough for the entire box to pass up or not. In mfg all the pictures show the box on the frame and body lowered down over the column. The shroud will probably need to come off anyway to paint. I really don't know prewar cars well so just my thoughts on possible removal with something that looked similar.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 19:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Sam, when in doubt then follow the instructions given by Howard (HH56). As you see he is supermodest but when it comes to technical understanding then he knows whereof he speaks.

Quote:
...so just my thoughts on possible removal with something that looked similar.

Howard, as you know, my experience also originates from something zis looks similar.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.11 KB)
757_4e641af51469c.jpg 500X367 px

Posted on: 2011/9/4 19:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Remove steering wheel, and unbolt shift linkage up top. At box, pitman arm off or disconnected, unbolt the 4 bolts to frame. Unbolt shift linkage from steering column. Unbolt clamp holding steering column to underside of dash. With car elevated, remove column/box in one piece. Don't disassemble steering box components till later...

DAF

Posted on: 2011/9/4 19:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Could not have said it better myself, this is how i took mine off two weeks ago,and had no problems.maybe i was lucky?

Posted on: 2011/9/9 16:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved