Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 185

tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fram Filter Failure Video and Pics, dissected from other forum.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Checking with others on what color this element is supposed to be.

Edit: It could have been white at one time, or yellow. Could be a contributing factor, but the oil sample sent to two companies didn't show any garbage or other issues, just one said "accelerated wear" compared to some past samples. Another company said in the norm.

The filter media does look like every other cut open used filter on the internet. I wonder how long it takes for the media to change color.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
A problem like is shown there is from the difference of pressure from one side of the element to the other. And the pressure is evenly distributed around the cylinder and it's very hard to crush a cylinder like that. The only way for that to happen is if the media is completely blocked and you have much more than the normal 65psi.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 13:26
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Back in the 70s I have trouble with fram filters blowing apart on a Ford 390 service truck. Ended up taking the presure relieve valve apart and cleaning it , stopped the problem. Those Fords had a plastic coated timing gear that would shed at about 100K and those pieces would bind the presure relieve valves.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
This case looks like failure to bypass. A full flow filter usually will bypass under WOT, in very cold weather, and if the wrong grade (read heavy) oil is used. Also, if heavy oil is used, especially in winter, the filter may not be able to bypass the thick oil. This will cause the unit to be crushed.

I remember old TV ads featuring cowboys talking about liquid ball bearings in their pickup trucks and how they used 20w-50 in everything including the lawnmower. That could crush an oil filter.

One thing is for sure the bypass valve is a cheap piece of technology and I'm not surprised to see a failure.

I think the Mobil 1 filter uses the same kind of bypass valve as this Fram unit.

Posted on: 2011/9/26 21:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved