Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 244

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 16 »

Re: 56 Patrician bought off ebay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I was attempting to clean the vinyl on the door panel I had removed - the one that says "Mitchell-Bentley" on it. As I carefully sponged some DAWN dishwash soap on the vinyl I noticed some writing on the heavy paper that the vinyl is sewn to. It says "REQ 209"! So that solves the REQ 209 query. It is the identification of the custom interior. I would guess that an REQ ??? would have accompanying paperwork identifying exactly what it was. Mystery solved!

Attach file:

jpg  (115.04 KB)
23_4e498c89c04fa.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/15 16:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I noticed while replacing the PB motor in the Patrician that the identification stamping was missing on this transmission.
This is the first twin-Ultra that I have seen which has no ID stampings. Perhaps Owen can post a pic of the normal trans which does have an ID stamped into the casting.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.01 KB)
23_4e86566778ab8.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/30 18:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Twin Ultras numbered at Utica similarly to the Utica engine numbers; prefixes A & B for Clippers, C for Caribbeans, and D for Patricians and 400s. Numbering started with 1001. thus the one, C 1107, is Carib Ultramatic 107.

Significance of the numbers off to the right side not known, kind of guessing that the letters are the initials of the transmission line worker to did the assembly.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.12 KB)
177_4e865957de62c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/30 19:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, I took a look thru the parts book (as I'm sure Randy has already), and they list three different P/Ns for trans - less converter. Yet, the only differences I see in the details involve valve bodies (namely the rear) and the throttle valve idle spring.

Apparently, those few difference were significant enough to merit different P/Ns for service as well as serial prefix for production.

Still, it seems odd that they didn't similarly serialize this service replacement assembly.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 22:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One interesting thing was the different torque converters and stall speed. Believe most of the valve changes and the different part numbers had to do with that. I can see the reasoning behind the different converters on Caribbeans and taking advantage of the higher HP. Have been curious why they used that same Caribbean converter on hardtops with the lower HP engines but chose a different converter for the sedans with the same engines.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 22:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, the P/Ns for service replacement units are LESS converter.

Parts book applications for 55th do show one converter specific to Carib. However, only two types are listed for service replacement for 56th - falling along 4-door vs. 2-door lines. Seem to recall something about higher stall speed for "sportier" models. This appears to be supported by corresponding P/Ns for converter pump.

Helluva picture puzzle to piece together, and we may not even have all of the pieces.

Posted on: 2011/9/30 23:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
So in effect we can suspect that Packard had a trans with at least 3 different operating characteristics--whatever the differences may be. A high stall converter with modified valves for Carrib. High stall and regular valves for HTs and low stall and regular valves for sedans. Anyone have first hand experience on whether there is a noticeable enough difference.

That was before any undocumented modifications made to make them work better. Ross changed springs for a better shift and added a plate to keep the reverse from slamming. Wonder how many things Packard might have done that were in trial & never got published.

Speaking of the reverse port blocking plate on valve body Ross added, anyone remember which thread that was in. Might try that and the spring change while my car is up and in position.

Posted on: 2011/10/1 9:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I find it interesting that Packard used a special Torque converter on the 55 Carribeans but not on the 56.What do you think the reason is for that move?

Posted on: 2011/10/1 9:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to several tech bulletins and SC articles, the 55 Caribbean had the special torque converter with accompanying valve body changes to take advantage of the characteristics of the higher HP engine in that model. Packard said 56 had a different stall speed converter for the Caribbean (same converter used on all 56 HTs as well) and I'd imagine that was the main difference in 55-- TB 55-T20 says Caribbean converter has a different blade angle so maybe just not stated as clearly.

Posted on: 2011/10/1 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Speaking of the reverse port blocking plate on valve body Ross added, anyone remember which thread that was in. Might try that and the spring change while my car is up and in position.

Try Things that go bump--in reverse, from 2010.

Posted on: 2011/10/1 13:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved