Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 188

tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Curious Happening Worth Remembering
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to a friend who'se been selling parts for the V8 Packards for many years now, it's not uncommon for the cigar lighter sockets to fail (though without shorting), usually one or more of the 3 spring contact fingers breaks off. But as I checked mine it was OK. Then a look at the element and it became clear what happened - failure of the sliding sleeve kept the element energized when the lighter was replaced in the socket. The element overheated but instead of burning thru and thus opening the circuit, it pretty much fused into a solid mass and hence there was no resistance winding - just a dead short. Replaced the element today and everything is hunky-dory. And luckily, the feed wire, though it no doubt got pretty hot, did not melt, distort or burn the insulation.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A common story that circulated back in the day talked about faulty lighters in the rear compartment. The lighter would short and set on fire the seat and interior of car. I remember my father disabling all of these lighters on the Packards that came into his possession. On new cars, he would leave the lighter element in the glove box for the new owner to manage.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/17 17:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting how different things are now with things you take for granted. It appears very few of the mfgs protected liters back then. A quick check found one that looks like it comes off the headlight switch breaker in a string with normally protected stuff. Others are like Packard--straight off the main source. The later cars have fuses or links that vary between 20 and 30 amps.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 18:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Dave (Owen_Dyneto) should get accolades on some superior diagnostic sleuthing on this one! I can't say that I or anyone I know would have figured this problem out within the time frame and pure intellect that Dave accomplished.

Of course, now everyone should put a 30A fuse in front of the cigar lighter(s), just to be safe.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/17 21:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved