Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

engine wont turn over!! help!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I installed the tranny in my car today, but after doing so the engine won't turn over. Everything was aligned well, and the trans went on smoothly and slid all the way up to the bell housing. I can see the clutch disengage looking up into the bell housing, but even when disengaged the motor won't spin. Before bolting up the trans I could easily turn it by hand at the flywheel.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/19 19:36
 Top  Print   

Re: engine wont turn over!! help!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Fory, it would be easier to get help if you embed a link to your car in the owner registry. The best way is to enter this link in your account page in square brackets:

url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=511]Fory's 1953 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan[/url

Posted on: 2012/1/19 20:16
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Fory:

Does the tailshaft on the transmission turn or is it stuck?

If it turns then something must be hitting. Like bolts that are too long.

Take out the spark plugs and use a screw driver to turn the flywheel. Then start loosening bolts to find interference.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2012/1/19 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Yes, tailshaft spins when in nuetral. Are the four bolts that join the trans to the bellhousing long enough to interfere? The engine turned over fine without the tranny on.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information

Posted on: 2012/1/19 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Perhaps the solenoid of your starter is sticking and the starter pinion is jamming on the flywheel?

[picture source: www.kaefer63.de]

Attach file:

jpg  (9.26 KB)
757_4f18c49055663.jpg 253X298 px

Posted on: 2012/1/19 20:34
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Wouldn't be starter related..... Ive only tried to turn it be hand so far, and the starter was installed before the trans went on... Maybe I put the clutch disk in backwards....?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think there would be a problem with reversed plate since there are reliefs on each plate side but even so, things should turn--just might not be able to fully release clutch. I don't know if it's possible to do but any chance the throwout arm wound up on the wrong side of bearing or bearing assy is backwards.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 21:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Definitely not the arm or the throw out bearing... I already put the bearing in backwards once and took everything back apart and had my shop teacher once over everything after assembly... Maybe everything is just stiff and needs to be broken loose?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the engine turned over with the clutch assy installed but without the transmission, then it has to be something related with that now in place. If you have ruled out the throwout bearing and too long of bolts anywhere then that leaves the transmission.

You mentioned the tailshaft turns when in neutral. Is there any chance the interlock is worn or loose and both levers can be moved so two gears accidentally became engaged at once. The interlock assy working loose was a problem on some Packard transmissions.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 23:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved