Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

TxGoat, FirstEliminator, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
AL,

I hesitated to use the word "modified" because, in my view, it is a one-off original. Whoever did it got it right, IMO. It's just about exactly the Packard I would've put together, although I would have made sure it had a 374. As it is, it may be prone to "over-carbureting", as the hot-rodders used to call it.

My latest hodge-podge dream Packard would use a '55 front clip with Clipper grill sporting a Packard "V" emblem and P A C K A R D hood lettering/ornament, a '56 trunk, either '56 Clipper or '55 senior rear fenders (still debating) and either '56 Clipper or '55-'56 senior rear bumper (still debating) on a short wheelbase Clipper 2-door torsion level frame. Make it a real 400 with a 400 cid overbore, and maybe call it a "400 Panama".

Just dreaming.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 22:04
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Interesting dream car. What would you start with as a base, Clipper, 400, or Patrician. I had one other modification that I thought I would use. If I could find a car that was the same as what I had either a Patrician or a Clipper and either had the front end and/or anything in front of the rear window all stripped and or crushed, I woul like to hack off the trunk and make it a pull along trailer. That way I could keep the trunk clean and pretty.

ALK

Posted on: 2012/4/25 14:17
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
AL,

Probably best-case scenario would be to start with a '56 400, so it would have the swank interior already in place and the long wheelbase. Get one that needed a new front clip.

It might be more correct to start with a '56 Panama, though, as it would be lighter. But keeping with the luxo idea, the interior would need to be changed.

Then there's the decision regarding how the rear fender selection, might dictate the chassis used, ie could the senior rear fenders be made to fit a Clipper chassis or the Clipper fenders (56) fit the senior chassis.

I think you're close to having it made with the modified '56 Clipper/Exec. I do like those Cathedral lamps from the seniors, though.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 20:25
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Then I would stay with the 56 400. Lux. int. Cathedral taillights. Start from there, most of what you would want is already there. Start with a Clipper and you have a lot of body work for the rear end. Oh. well. My plans have been altered this week, but in a good way. I have accepted a position just south of Nashville. I will have to tow the Clipper over to a shop to get the carbs put on and get the car running rather than doing it at home. At least that way I am almost assured of getting to the Nats in September.

ALK

Posted on: 2012/4/27 7:01
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Good deal on the job, AL.

Now, can anyone find me a running '56 400 that needs a new front clip and a '55 that has one? And a '55 Clipper grill? (Pls look around Nashville for me would you AL?)

And I'm gonna take off the bumper bullets except for the curved top and stick fog lights in there-- oh and the wrap-around direction signals I'll keep so I can put a couple more running lights in the Clipper ones. It's gonna be so cool. Maybe black out the grill too... really mean.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 15:54
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well it never seems to rain that it does not pour. I brought the carbs to a local carb shop that I have done business with for years and they did their usual great job. I took the whole kit and ka-boodle to a local mechanic. He has worked on a local 1937 sedan, as well as my Patrician, so I figured the Clipper would give him no problems. I get a phone call not 2 days later wanting to know where the linkage was. I said on the car. Well I was half right. The short rod was there but the 8 to 9 inch rod that makes the whole thing work was gone. Now I had taken the carbs off and I remember the long rod, and I'm fairly sure I put the rod someplace where I would not forget it. You know how that goes. We can't find it. Kanter has one for $150, I'm still looking. Bob Stolphus is looking to see if he has one. In the meantime my mechanic made one. He cranked it up today, and calls me this morning wanting to know who took the carbs off. I told him I did but that as soon as I did I stuffed new clean rags in the manifold so that nothing would fall in there. He said that somebody dropped something in there. I said I was not that stupid or careless. He said that something was in there because it was knocking like a banshee. So he is going to see if he can find out what it is. If (what the hell do I mean if) nothing goes real wrong and he can get whatever is in there out we may be o.k.. But if it all goes to hell in a hand basket Colonial Williamsburg won't see me this year.

Cei la vie

ALK

Posted on: 2012/6/7 17:53
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Al,
Hope for the best! It is a good looking car!

Posted on: 2012/6/7 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
AND THE HITS JUST KEEP COMING.

The mechanic called and it seems that the engine just locked up.. He is going to pull the intake off to see if there is anything to see. After that I guess pull the heads. I figured out that a rebuild on this engine will be all of 3K. I can get a rebuilt 374 from a reliable source for that. Then all I have to do is pay the shop to swap out engines and while the old one is out they can paint the engine bay. And in the stash that I had was a 374. I sold it when I got the engine in the car running. Never counted on this though. Damn another Nats missed.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 17:45
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well it seems to be going from bad to worse. The mechanic says he can hand turn the motor only so far before it locks and then turn the other way before it locks. I was hoping it was a busted starter that had clobbered up things. No such luck.. I have another engine available if I need it. I don't know. BTW does 1K sound a bit much to pull heads off and put them back on?????

Posted on: 2012/6/22 13:53
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Man, that's some bad juju goin' on there.

However, I wouldn't agree to pulling BOTH heads just yet.

I would, instead, pull the valve covers - one at a time - and look for an obvious dropped valve, which could interfere with piston travel and keep the motor from turning. Something like that would tell you which head needs to come off.

Your previous comment that something was "knocking like a banshee" doesn't bode well, but you'll never know what's going on (and, hence, what it takes to fix) if you don't do some exploratory surgery.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 14:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved