Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

39Rollson, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Twin Ultramatic Range?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Almost two months ago I bought my 1956 Esquire hardtop ( a Four Hundred that was dealer (Harry DuBois, Arlington, VA) ordered/converted to look almost like a Caribbean except for interior and the second four barrel ) from a retired dealer mechanic who had owned it for the previous 44 years. The first fortunate twist is that the seller was the son and grandson of Packard dealer mechanics (1920-1940s) who always had enough cars, stories and parts to make his life and upbringing Packard-friendly. The car was kept in good running shape, came with a trunk load of NOS parts (motto: "As long as you have a spare, you'll never need it") and still looks good. I have been very pleased with the purchase and all the things I have learned by reading these Forum posts backwards into 2006. I almost feel that I know the regular posters and their cars pretty well for having done so.

My car runs well and almost everything (except for AM Wonderbar radio and speedometer) works as it should. The engine got new bearings, timing chain/gear, rings, lifters, carb about four years/a thousand miles ago, and runs nicely and gets reasonable gas mileage. But I was told that in the 44 years, the transmission hasn't had the pan off or fluid changed because the fluid still looks and smells fine and things work. Most of my older mechanic friends agree with the don't try to fix what ain't broke theory and counsel me to wait until something serious develops before opening it up. The car came with lots of TU parts, mostly seals, clutches and a new input shaft, much of it still in dealer packaging, just to tempt me. Even a spare used pushbutton unit with un-cut wires! My only observation is that the transmission will growl/rumble if I don't back off the gas a bit after the upshift occurs in Drive. It will also happen in High range, but seems a bit smoother. Since I can be a patient driver, and there's no radio to distract my hearing, I could live with the probable glazed lock up clutch surface for a long time, or at least until something else happens Ultramatically. In the meantime, should I just plan on using High instead of Drive for pleasure motoring?

Since I also own four Corvettes, I can use another car if I want spirited driving. So far, it's a toss up as which car turns more heads, the 67 Corvette coupe or the 56 Esquire.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Twin Ultramatic Range?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect you'll get comments supporting both. I tend to almost never use "D", for example only when starting from a stop at the base of a long, steep hill with a low speed limit because I'd just as soon have the direct drive clutch engagement delayed and avoid that kind of load on it. Otherwise it's always "H" which generally gives more than enough performance for the type of driving around here. I've heard others say you should sometimes use "D", at least sometimes, just to keep the servo and other parts limber.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, backing off the gas pedal to alleviate such moan/groan is symptomatic of a condition involving the converter clutch lining material.

In that regard, it doesn't matter whether you use Drive or High range. Sooner or later, the trans will shift into Direct Drive, but perhaps the different speed/RPM at which that occurs is helping to skirt the condition (for the time being).

Maybe the old gal just needs some exercise. Otherwise, you might find some relief - as others have reported - by draining the trans and converter and refilling with Type F fluid.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 17:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Thanks Brian, but just how much modern Type F is in it is anyone's guess. The actuator input shaft seal has a small leak (perhaps a teaspoon's worth on the garage drip pan in six weeks), so , bit by bit there's some Type F in it. And another quart bottle stays at the ready in the trunk with the two well-used shop manuals that came with the car. Seeing the grease prints and margin notations in these books for the V8s really added to the allure of this car.

I tend to keep favorite cars for mulltiple decades, but don't know if I can equal 44 years more. So far, my mechanically-inclined sons are treating it as a curiousity. But the whole family has commented on The Ride. Maybe that will be the way they Decide.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I always use H driving 56 Executive unless i encounter conditions such as Owen Dyneto has already explained.
As for any trans maintenance i will strongly side with the " if it aint broke...." philosophy.

Posted on: 2013/12/6 22:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I rarely (read never) use "D". The fellow who rebuilt my trans recommended always using "H". I followed his advice and I do drive my 400 a lot, highway and local. When it groans sometimes, I just back off the throttle and let it shift. Enjoy your Esquire!

Posted on: 2013/12/7 0:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I always use "D" and in the 14 years I owned my 55 Pat it has performed flawlessly.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/7 0:58
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is no rational reason to use use something or anything that is not needed. Assuming usual, normal and customary passenger car operation then the low range is simply not needed BECAUSE the Packard V8 packs more than enuf power for such operation of a vehicle.
Its not as if the pack v8 is some kind of farmers six cylinder chev or ford or somekind of a 4 cyl puddle.jumper.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 8:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Agree on the Pack V8, more than up to the chore. Also agree with, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", esp when it comes to the Ultramatic.
In the late 1980s, under the late John Bryan's tutelage in Oceanside, CA. I rebuilt an Ultra for a 56J I owned back then.
It was a fairly simple transmission to work on, but finicky in that when everything shoulda been OK according to specs, it still did not operate correctly. I had to remove it from the car again and replace the TC clutch, then again and replace the rear pump.
Once the bugs were ironed out, it held up well. It is still in service, last time I heard from the car's current owner a few years ago. Though he is now quite elderly and drives it very little.
In addition to using every innovation John B. had came up with over the decades (i.e. steel backed, perforated bushings, steel parking lever, etc.), I used BMW motorcycle seals for the shift and passing gear shafts in the tranny body. It never leaked much.
All in all, it came out OK, but I would not want to open another can of worms like that.
Sounds like yours is close enough :)

Posted on: 2013/12/7 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If the valving is working okay for the L-H shift then using D is purported to be easier on the over running clutch. That is a big if. Theoretically speaking using D range puts less stress on the trans because of reduction.

The last T-U I dealt with had been rebuilt by a Packard place and the bell housing to trans bolt holes were stripping. Once that was fixed it had rotten L-H timing and would rev and then go into direct. So it needed all the updates that went along with the TSB's like accumulator spring update and what not.

When they are working properly they are pleasant, but I would convert to TorqueFlite with a problem case and be done with it.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 12:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved