Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

30s Live axle suspension pictures
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
Hi guys. I haven't had a chance to post in a while. I'm a huge Packard fan and want to eventually get one, preferably a sedan or limo from 1930 - 1936. Till I can afford that (and have a place to put one), I'm creating a virtual one. I'm also a 3D modeler and I'm working on designs for cars in the early to mid 30s. I can post some pictures of cars I've worked on if anybody's interested (it's a car of my own design).

Anyway, I need pictures and diagrams of Packard front suspensions, preferably the older live axle layout. The higher resolution the better.

Thanks in advance.

Darrell Leland

Posted on: 2011/11/28 14:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 30s Live axle suspension pictures
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Darrell, show us what you've done so far. I may be able to help with some drawings to help you as well but I need to see what you're up to in order to help. Can you use ACAD solids? How detailed are you making your models?

Posted on: 2011/11/28 16:09
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply tfee! Here are four images of the car I've been working on; a front and side view, a ghost view and a beauty shot. It's a phaeton in the style of the mid 30s. I even have created a history of the fictional car company and a logo. I've been using it as a "learning job" to move on to other cars (Packards in particular) later. It's needed a lot of research. It's all done in Maya 8.5 and rendered with Mental Ray. I know Maya will import ACAD DXF files, but I'm not sure about solids.

Thanks again!

Attach file:

jpg  (37.92 KB)
3257_4ed6bce8d174e.jpg 663X680 px

jpg  (40.56 KB)
3257_4ed6bcf9d6fdc.jpg 1024X1024 px

jpg  (34.86 KB)
3257_4ed6bd0299cc2.jpg 1024X421 px

jpg  (73.75 KB)
3257_4ed6bd0c61bde.jpg 800X800 px

Posted on: 2011/11/30 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I like how the fender sides drop down below the surface of the running boards and the grill shape is unique as well. What do you need to know about the suspension components? I can provide pics and or drawings of my 733 sedan frame and suspension if you need them. The body is currently off the car and I put the rear axle back in it tonight.
Todd

Posted on: 2011/11/30 21:59
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
Thank you for your kind words. This has been a project that has taken nearly a year. It's based entirely on thousands of photographs I've found online, as well as owner's and repair manuals I've found in various places. I've gone to a bunch of local car shows but I never see anything of this vintage except for a few Fords that have been so modified that they aren't much use as reference. I see a Pierce Arrow running around town now and then, but it never shows up. I want it to be a plausable car from 1935. I'm hoping to have it down to nut and bolt detail eventually.

I need to see some good closeups of how the axle, shock (knee action isn't it?) leaf spring and tie rod assemblies are put together. I need to see how they attach to the frame. Pictures of motor mounts and perhaps the steereing and transmission linkages would be helpful too. Thank you very much. Do you have photos of your car on this site?

Darrell Leland

PS: Here's a picture of the Verna Motors company logo.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.31 KB)
3257_4ed70a5eb51d4.jpg 800X945 px

Posted on: 2011/12/1 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Nice work on the CAD drawings. I admire people who can create using their skills and technology.

I have always understood that the term "live axle" referred to the rear axle, not the front one. I believe it came to be known by this name because the driving gears and axles were contained in the housing; hence, it was alive. A front wheel drive vehicle would have a "dead" rear axle because there is no power being transmitted through it. Of course, 4-wheel drive vehicles would have two live axles, front and rear. The only Packard that I know of with a live front axle is the 1931 Prototype front wheel drive V-12. Some here may have a better or different explanation.

(o[]o)

Edit: Live axles are contained in solid housings.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 11:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
Thanks. Maybe I used the wrong term. I'm refering to the kind of front suspension you see in most cars up until the mid 30s or so, in which both front wheels share a common solid axle and pivot on kingpins. I was under the impression Packard went to an independant front suspension in 1935 with the 120, right? The car I'm working on would have the older design.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 13:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, Packard went to IFS on the new 120 in 1935 but retained the older beam axle arrangement on the senior cars thru 1936.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I've been doing a build blog on my car here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8039&forum=10

There are some pics of suspension components in the blog but I will shoot some more for you later tonight with better clarity.
Todd

Posted on: 2011/12/1 17:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell Leland
See User information
That's very kind of you. I appreciate it. I took a look at your project and I'm impressed. It's giving me an incentive to clean out my garage at last. Somebody cut it almost in half with a hastily made shop but if I Got rid of that a big old Packard of some sort would fit. I wish I could have gotten that 34 V12 Limo that was on eBay a while back. I think it was drooling over that car that made me decide to do this project (also a V12).

Posted on: 2011/12/1 18:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved