Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 190

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

T-L system stopped functioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
When I acquired my 1955 Packard 400, the T-L system worked fine. However, following a trip to a mechanic's shop for some brake work and a re-built carburetor, the T-L system has ceased to function. I know that the mechanic had the vehicle up on jackstands for a while as he went over the brake system, but he assured me that he disconnected the battery prior to jacking the car up.

Before I start on a wild goose chase, I thought I would run this by some of the more experienced members of this forum to listen to their thoughts. Everything has run through my mind from a simple blown fuse to something considerably more serious.

Any guidance as to where to begin would be most appreciated by this novice Packard technician.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 18:57
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: T-L system stopped functioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Just for S&G make sure the on-off switch is thrown toward the inside of vehicle as described in owners manual. Then check the stoplight fuse.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 19:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First is make sure the under dash switch is on. If so, do the brake lites work? The brake lite switches are known to abruptly fail or plug loosen or get knocked off. Need to make sure the control switch is getting power (light green wire) when brakes are released. There are two fuses. In 55, the body feed fuse for the brake lite switch circuit and then an inline fuse in a red wire (usually near starter solenoid) for the TL motor.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 19:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, fellow forum members, thank you for your assistance. I managed to track down the cause of my non-functioning T-L system to a disconntected wire on the under dash switch.

After first checking the correct position of the T-L under dash switch to "on" and checking to see if the brake lights worked (they did), I decided to do some elementary checking on wire connections. Low and behold, when my mechanic friend was working on replacing vacuum hoses to the wiper switch, he must have inadvertently pulled the power (light green" wire out of its connector on the T-L switch. Ensuring that the switch was in the "off" position, I re-connected the light green wire, held my breath, and flipped the switch to "on." A few second later, to my delight, I heard the T-L motor raising the rear end, which had begun to sag, and life is once again sweet.

Again, thank you kind fellow Packard owners for your help and suggestions.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 12:09
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad it was simple. Kind of unusual though so will keep it in mind. Those wires are generally held very securely by the switch -- sometimes to the point they are even hard to release when you want them to.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
glad it was simple bro!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 12:35
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Glad the loose wire was not the "HOT" one or at least didn't touch any metal and short out blowing the fuse. One good reason for a battery cutoff switch when working on the car.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 14:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Problem with my 55 leveling system. I am only getting power to control box batt terminal when brakes are applied. Power at A & B all times, replaced control box, solenoids & limit switch. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/8/17 12:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume we are talking the regular 3 outside screw terminal 55 control switch. The power to the center BAT terminal at control switch should only be present when brakes are NOT applied. Does it go away when brakes are released or do the brake lights work correctly? If it goes away or brake lights are not working properly and the switch has 3 terminals, make sure the terminals are wired correctly. If one of the conversion kits utilizing a regular 2 terminal brake switch has been installed, make sure the relay is not energized when brakes are not applied. If the power is there all the time, check the brake light switch.

The control switch grounds the solenoids so A & B terminals on switch will indicate there is power present all the time if measured to ground since terminals are getting power thru the solenoids.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 12:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Yes, regular 3 outside screw terminal 55. Lose power when brake pedal is released. Brake lights work & changed the 3 prong brake switch last month after flushing out the silicone I had in the system. I took arm off of control box, moved lever either way and did not hear any click, as trouble shooting guide indicated with the new box.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 13:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved