Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: relieving valve pockets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
You make a good point on the Webers and there are some models that even had removable venturi sleeves. But that it what adds to the complication. Having used many Holly carbs in the past you can often time pull it right out of the box set your air bleeds and idle and be on your way it wont be 100% right for your combination with factory jets/ power valves but it is damn close. You don't have that option with a Weber some engines may be closer than others with a right out of the box carb but you will have to do quite a bit of tuning. Don't get me wrong they are great carbs you just need some know how.
The performance Weber carb came out in the 30s and Hilborn had his injection in the 40s so the development was rather close together of the two systems. Weber carbs never really caught on in the states on a large scale however hilborn injection was an still is a pretty common thing not as street friendly in a mechanical form but it can be done. Most American sports and race cars used some variation of Holly, Carter ect. with the rare Shelby or something similar using Webers.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 0:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
packard1984, I have a Model A Roadster Hot Rod with a 283 Chevy V-8. It is equipped with an Edelbrock 4-barrel carburetor (manual choke). I noticed that cast into the side of the carb is "Weber". Did Edlebrock buy Weber, or are they making the carbs under license, or is Weber making the carbs for Edelbrock? Thanks.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/18 11:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
That is a very good question. As far as I know Weber casts the bodies for Edelbrock kinda like outsourcing but the two companies are each their own entities.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 5:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks for the info.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/20 10:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Not that uncommon in the automotive world, there are some edelbrock q-jets out there still even though they make carter clone carbs (q-jet rpms) that they did for a bit (remans i think, but solid carbs from reports).

and then carter actually cast some q-jets for rochester, despite being a competitor. Rather than some kind of reman job, they actually made them for them to legit q-jet specs, no special parts or differences:

"Q. Why Does my Rochester Quadrajet say Carter on It ?
A. Carter Manufactured a few Quadrajets over the years for Rochester they are
still Rochester carbs and for getting parts you should look them up as Rochesters"

Posted on: 2012/9/20 20:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved