Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

Don B, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Cali Brush Fires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Riki wrote:
Also with howard and others in the central valley, commercial jets, exhausting all those tons of kerosene ,,,oops,. that's business,, they have a right to make money, they are exempt...

Not so much jets because airline service in most parts of the valley sucks so not that many to deal with. Diesel trucks on the other hand are a major source. You take your life in your hand navigating route 99 with the almost bumper to bumper truck volume. The various entities are trying to regulate and require retrofits and newer models for any trucks in the valley.

I know something has occurred in truck regulation but haven't really kept track of just what or when. Won't get into the benefit vs cost problem but there is a huge pushback on both sides. I believe some farming operations have been exempted which has greatly upset some other commercial operations that were not. Never a dull moment in the Golden State is there.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 21:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I understand that the EPA is giving up on its pursuit of having E85 as the fuel standard and are going towards the low sulpher (sp.?) gasoline used in California. Don't know if this is good or bad, but think E85 is a bad solution. E10 is bad enough.

Years ago I worked at the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory. At that time some counties in the San Francisco Bay Area were requiring vehicles to pass a more stringent pollution test than other counties. This was because the air quality was worse. The reason it was worse was because of all the commute traffic from the central valley. These vehicles were registered in other counties and were not required to pass the more demanding test, even though they were the ones contributing mostly to the higher pollution.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/5 22:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
HH,,

nope,,,

Posted on: 2013/5/5 22:25
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The reason it was worse was because of all the commute traffic from the central valley. These vehicles were registered in other counties and were not required to pass the more demanding test, even though they were the ones contributing mostly to the higher pollution.

And now it has gone full circle with most if not all of the valley and inland areas having to pass a stringent smog test every two years while some parts of the state are exempt because they have "clean" air.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 22:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
JW,

from what I read about coal,,where our gas used to come from,,

it is low in sulpher,

But the NUT in the W H ,,wants to get rid of coal..........

Posted on: 2013/5/5 22:30
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hh,

I have to take my 1990 camry to a STAR,,smog station now..my uncle bought it new ans when he died we too it over,,

it is the newest car I own,,,,, its a v6 wag,,which I rebuilt in 2000,,, trans went a 153 thou,,

pulled it all out, found out had a burned valve,,

I think I have about 100 thou on rebuild,, my first 4 cam rebuild.. ft wheel drive..

don't think it is going to pass this time, needs another cat converter. the org converter did not pass the flow test one year,,had Toyota test it, so I got an after market one which is on there now,

but does not have as much honey comb as org..

I wanted to have the 400 going ,,but that's not going be happening..

my 79 Datsun pick up is good this year,, I am 2 owner, I got it for 200 bucks,, its rusted bad,,,was a plumbing truck, its my hauler.. I had to rebuild it when I got it.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 22:44
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The argument that vehicle inspections reduce emissions is bxllshxt. Very few cars that fail the test are used for long distance commuting because they are so old. The whole thing is a handout to garages that certify the customer has been soaked to the limit of the law. And another way government discriminates against moderate income people.

I don't understand why people put up with such nonsense. Back in the 30's they rioted.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I agree Tim,,

Posted on: 2013/5/6 22:58
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved