Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: radial tires on antique wheels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
My Clipper has the Diamondback radials, which I think are good tires. Unlike modern solid alloy wheels, it seems like the steel rims are prone to lose some air over time, so I have to add air every couple months. Might be in the valves, though. I was advised by club members to run the tires at 36 psi, which I thought seemed a bit high.

Starting in 1955, all Packards had tubeless wheels. I don't think that the load difference between a radial and a bias is that much, so the fact that the tire is different should not make much of a differnce.

I'll tell you where the difference between the radial and bias is apparent: gas mileage and handling. The guys I know who insist on bias ply tires get poorer gas mileage per gallon. I am currently averaging about 14 mpg, which I think is pretty good. Also, the handling of radials, particularly in bad weather, seems to be significant as well.

My final argument for using radials instead of bias ply should be obvious ... how many late model cars ride on bias ply tires vs. radials? A radial is a superior tire to a bias ply.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 12:24
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Actually, 1954 Packards were the first U.S. production automobiles to be equipped with tubless tires.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/28 13:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks guys - I will continue to run the radials with tubes and quit worrying.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, unless your tires were designed to run with tubes you may want to rethink running them with tubes. Not advisable. I have tubeless radials on my 115C and my 1955 Clipper, they perform great and no problems. Everyone, just get over it.

(O{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/28 21:56
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What kind of problem will tubes cause with radials???? I've definately ran tubes with tubeLESS bias ply tires. In somecases had to run tubes. I can certainly imagine needing tubes with radials on some wire wheels tho. Maybe even some riveted wheels that ran tubes very early 50's thru 80's. Never tried that. What will happen if tubes are used in radials????

Posted on: 2013/5/29 7:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I've got to think that if the wheels on 1954 Packards onward were spcifically designed to accommodate tubeless tires, then using tubes in tubeless tires seems a bit redundant, don't you think? The inflation valve is designed to attach to the wheel. Tubeless tires are designed to inflate and seal to the wheel. It seems to be that using a tube means feeding the tube's inflation valve through the hole designed for a different valve. Here are a couple of views on it:

"In general, tubeless tires do not need tubes, and you do yourself a dis-service by using tubes with tubeless tires. Tubes reduce the flexibility of tubeless tires, thereby increasing rolling resistance. This then consumes a bit more energy to make it go, which will consume a bit more fuel. The worse part is that this extra energy is turned into heat in the tire, and tires don't like extra internal heat. This could shorten the life of the tire rather dramatically if you run it anywhere near it's maximum load or speed rating." (MGA Guru)

Other sites that I Googled basically said the same thing -- using a tube in a tubeless tire actually reducing the efficiency of the tire, not to mention complicating things for no reason during the installation.

If tubes in radial tires were such a great idea, then why don't tire dealer push them when selling tires to unwary customers? After all, wouldn't they make more money if they did? They don't because that creates more problems than it solves. According to one individual who tried it, "in a modern radial tire the tube squirms around inside and quickly rubs a hole in the tube. I tried it and got those results. I think if you check you'll find that standard tire tubes and radial tires are not designed to be used together."

But as one other user notes: "I wear a condom when I'm not having sex just to be extra safe."

Posted on: 2013/5/29 9:24
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 Clipper had tubes when I got the car. The problem was the rusty bead surface was preventing an airtight seal, so a previous owner installed tubes to fix the problem. I fixed the rust issue, no tubes required now.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 10:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There are some tube-type radial ply tires. Coker's Excelsior series is an example of tube-type radial tire. There may be others. The tubes are of a special design and construction for the radial tires. Do not know if these tires can be mounted tubeless. If tubes are used in radial tires be sure to use tubes designed for this type of tire.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/29 14:32
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
When I got my 38 it had 15" rims so I don't know what year car they're from but I've been running my diamondback 700R 15 tires without tubes for the last 4 years- no problem

Posted on: 2013/5/29 14:44
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Radial tires came into use a long time after tubeless tires were universally adopted by the automotive industry and buying public. Radial tires, by their very nature, are modern tires specifically created for use on tubeless wheels. I suppose that there may be a few odd radial tires being produced for use on 1930s-40s era cars, but for anyone driving a Packard built after 1954, using a tube in a tubeless tire does not make sense.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 16:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved