Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 88

Flybiker18, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: electric fuel pump pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi, I smelled gas one day after starting up my Packard and look what I found. A leak from the fuel pump. Good reason not to have an electrical pump before a mechanical fuel pump.
See video at youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE27jspjpkU
Wes

Posted on: 2014/9/4 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
wesley; if you get fuel out the vent, you have a bad diaphragm more them likely. this new gas with the alcohol rots the old rubber. i would take the pump apart and see what is going on. dell

Posted on: 2014/9/4 18:58

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Dell, yes I will have to open it up one day and report back. For now this is a good reason not to have an electric pump feeding to a mechanical fuel pump and also if the electric fuel pump is install in the feed line to the carburetor between the mechanical fuel pump and carburetor then a one way valve should be installed keeping fuel from going to the mechanical fuel pump.
My two cents.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/9/5 8:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
Just as a FYI for those of us wanting or having to use electric fuel pumps, there are reasonably priced carburetor type, non return line pressure regulators for those pumps from $15 to 35. And they work.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
If you have a mechanical pump, then an option is to install an On-OFF switch for the electric pump, so it is not pushing fuel into the mechanical fuel pump when not necessary to do so. I have fitted one ($49.95 available from Clickonparts ) and intend to use it to just prime the carby and mechanical pump when necessary, or whenever the dreaded vapour lock causes fuel problems. My pump is fitted midway between the fuel tank and mechanical pump, on chassis rail under the car. It has a filter and non-return valve in it.

Over here you can still get petrol that has no Ethanol - very fortunate!

Posted on: 2014/9/5 20:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved