Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Manual versus Automatic (ULTRAmatic), post-war
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
And somewhere I read that Packard limited stick production to 5% so as to amortize the costs of the Ultra development and tooling.

Anyway, a 51-54 with stick and over is fast and fun and flexible. At least I have enjoyed all seven or eight that I have had.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 12:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The automotive press really didn't have much bad to say about the Ultramatic and the dealers supposedly didn't complain about it either. I don't have a time machine to go to a dealer in 1953 and demand a stick shift Patrician, but I see all kinds of goings on here in Detroit and, except for the fact that Packard was building two distinct blocks (which makes no sense), wouldn't be surprised if you could get that built as an OSM (on site modification). The long wait for ordered cars has me thinking that some of those manual orders started out as automatics with the parts shipped to an OSM facility where the conversions were made (thus the long wait). Production lines sometimes are cheaper to run that way.

Another interesting result is that the 59 Caddy with Hydramamtic will beat the 59 Imperial 413 with Torqueflite. I would never think that without seeing the test results, but that is what I found out.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 17:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
Curious (since I have only driven ultramatics): How can you tell if a 48-54 manual shift has overdrive? Switch? body scrpit? soundtrack?

thanks.
Mike

Posted on: 2015/6/10 21:09
Older enough to know better. Fool enough to not care.

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
(Post-war Packard, someday!)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Relay on the cowl or control knob under dash just to the right of the steering column are the easiest ways, short of crawling under the car.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 21:16
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
trying to post a picture... like this?

Attach file:

jpg  (9.26 KB)
4792_5578f18b8e4d8.jpg 344X213 px

Posted on: 2015/6/10 21:24
Older enough to know better. Fool enough to not care.

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
(Post-war Packard, someday!)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Like that.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The old cars with manual transmissions were designed to do the minimum amount of gear changing. High gear pulling from slow speed meant back then the car had a lot of power. Old slow turning high torque at low rpm engines with overdrive in town need very few gear changes 2nd gear and second gear overdrive are great. The over drive cars came with even lower axle ratios. Great fun to drive with overdrive.

Posted on: 2015/6/11 14:32
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Packard is very different from any modern car or English car with manual trans. Unlimited torque at all engine speeds, you can easily idle down in high gear to below 10 miles per hour, and accelerate to 100 without a buck.

Very little shifting required in normal driving. Once the car is warmed up you can easily start off in second and shift to high as soon as you are moving.

Tom McCahill, ace car tester at Mechanix Illustrated, reported in 1952 that Cadillac refused to sell cars with manual trans, then said their customers "demanded" automatics. He regarded this as an arrogant move on their part. He felt that a manual trans was better than automatic in many ways as it offered better control of the car, better mileage and better performance.

Packard's response was that they would continue to offer manual trans on all models as long as their customers wanted them.

McCahill applauded Packard for treating their customers like "free thinking Americans" not "prestige buying stooges".

So, if Packard sold a lot of manual trans cars it was because their customers bought manual trans cars, even though automatic was available on all models, and standard equipment on the most expensive.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Tom McCahill's own car was a 1950 Cadillac model 61 hardtop coupe with manual trans. This was Cadillac's smallest model, based on the B body usually seen on Oldsmobiles and Buicks. It was the last year for this model, and they only made 4 hardtops with manual trans. McCahill's and 3 they sold to sportsman Briggs Cunningham.

Cunningham entered 2 of them in the LeMans 24 hour race that year (yes, really). One with stock hardtop body, the other with a vast "streamlined" racing body designed by a Grumman engineer. They finished 10th and 11th.

The next year Cunningham came back with a sports car of his own manufacture, the first Cunningham racing cars.

So, Cadillac would build a manual trans car as late as 1950 if the customer wanted one. I believe they made Hydramatics only from 1951 on, and ceased to make manual trans cars.

Not sure, but I think Hydramatic had been standard equipment on Cadillac for several years, with manual trans an available option.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 16:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
only about 50% of the 1954 regular Packard Convertibles had power windows. No 1954 Caribbeans were delivered with standard shift

Posted on: 2015/6/13 0:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved