Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Steel Rim Design
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have sealed my wire wheels to run tubeless tires. I used GE Silicone II Aluminum & Metal Silicone Sealant. I picked up this idea from motorcycles sealing their rims for tubeless tires. It is holding air and working fine.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
O_D is correct in stating that 1954 was the year Packard introduced tubeless tires. The rest of the industry in America followed in 1955. My apology for my error; I've edited my previous post to correct the date.

Seeing all the posts about using tubeless tires successfully on pre-1954 rims makes me wish they had a 7:00-17 tubeless tire for my 1933 Eight. I'll take a tubeless tire any day over the tube type.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 0:22
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, I'm curious what your objection is to inner tubes, other than of course the hassle should you get a flat tire. I've had no issues with tubes on my 34 Eight with 7:00 x 17 for over 50 years though if I retire (which I'm due for) I don't hear good reports about the reliability of the metal-stem tubes which are correct thru 1934.

One thing some tire installers have missed (or forgotten) is the need to "lube" the inner tubes when they are installed. Vermiculite or talcum powder are the most common materials used. And of course gutter strips or flaps are essential.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 8:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
O_D, I've had cars with tubed tires since 1974 without incident until last year (see topic "Are welded wire wheels repairable?" in this forum.) That flat was due to a rupture, not a puncture, of the tube on its inner wall. I can't help but think that if the tire had been tubeless that wouldn't have happened. And if there is a puncture of a tubed tire, it most likely will flatten completely and quickly, causing a breakdown situation. A tubeless tire puncture will most likely cause a slow leak that will allow some time to move to a safe location. I carry a tire inflator and a tire plug kit with me so if a puncture occurs I have the option of adding some air and continue driving a bit or plugging the puncture right there. I can't exercise either of these options with a punctured tubed tire. That's why I prefer tubeless tires.

As to the metal stemmed tubes, a friend of mine had a 1930 726 sedan stored in my garage for 12 years, during which time I replaced all four road tires and tubes. The tubes were Coker metal-stemmed tubes and very seldom needed air, maybe once every year or so. The right front tire seemed to lose a little more air than the others, though it never went flat. Of course, this car was far from being roadable so I can only speculate on how they'd be out on the road. My 1933 Packard has rubber-stemmed tubes.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 0:05
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Does one need those rubber "gutter" strips in the rim if they are just riveted centers to the outer rim? Or are these just essential for wire wheels?

John

Posted on: 2015/6/18 8:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably not "essential" but I'd be inclined to use a gutter strip whenever an inner tube is going to rest on an irregular surface such a rivet heads, welds, and the like. As they say, "might help, can't hurt".

Posted on: 2015/6/18 8:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved