Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 186

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Proposed Modern Packard V12
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good points all, Brian. I got a good chuckle out of meeting some folks at my hotel at the 1999 Centennial who belonged to both clubs, but to one under the husband's name and the other under the wife's maiden name. Perhaps that says something about the relationship between the two. I've heard several versions of the story behind all the animosity between them, but it isn't worth repeating.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 12:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

In 1977, I purchased my first piece of Packard literature, by mail, from Bob Zimmerman of Akron, OH. It was an Executive folder, and my eyes grew wide when I turned it over and saw the ink-stamp of the dealer where my dad worked - though I'd never told Bob anything about that.

I finally met Bob, in person, on my first Perrysburg, in 1990. Of course, I continued to cross paths with him at many auto events in the Penn-Ohio area. Even when I didn't see him first, he would make it a point to come up and shake my hand.

One year at Fall Hershey, after shaking my hand in the swap meet field, he asked, "by the way, what club did you say you belonged to?" I told him (at the time) it was PAC, and he blurted out, "WELL, I shouldn't even be talking to you, then!" We both burst out in laughter.

You see, Bob is a member of BOTH clubs. It wouldn't have mattered which one I belonged to; he would have "punked" me either way.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: Being at Warren in 1999 was a real joy for me. It is also interesting to me that making such a simple post and seeing the direction it goes in.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/19 21:54
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OH!!!! I didn't know about any strained relations between PAC and PI. SOMEONE, please, pray tell, anyone! Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 22:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Lets forget about PI & PAC and make a packardinfo club. Also, in regards to the modern v12 didn't baycliff acquire the Packard name in the 1980's and build a so called "1934 packard" and which to my eyes looks (on ebay) nothing like a 1934 model Packard.

Now why didn't the Packard name die, when Studebaker dropped the Packard name. Was the Packard name re-registered in a later time, such as by Baycliff. You don't see people manufacturing cars using the names such as duesenburg, Cord, Marmon, etc so, was the name sold off by Studebaker?

Posted on: 2008/11/20 4:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Though we have members (by virtue of a free registration, which is open to anyone with a genuine interest in Packards - REGARDLESS of club affiliation), I like to think of PackardInfo as the "un-club" - much like 7 Up used to be billed as the "un-cola".

Posted on: 2008/11/20 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Un-club! I like it!

As to Now why didn't the Packard name die, when Studebaker dropped the Packard name. The overly simplistic answer is that a trademark survives as long as the owner of it continues it's registration with the U.S. Patents and Trademark Commission, a unit of the U.S. Department of Commerce. After Studebaker-Packard dropped Packard from their corporate name, they continued to maintain the Packard trademark(s) for some time, and after they stopped producing cars, I believe their successor, Studebaker-Worthington Corp. continued for a while. I've gotten the entire history of the trademark ownership since then from PAC, but don't recall the details and don't really have an interest in it though I believe at this point PAC owns some of the trademarks and has for example given this website permission to use them, and I believe Gullickson still owns some of the others.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Yes, the un-club, without the (whatever) petty differences that keep those in, "organisations," from exchanging the necessary information to keep our cars on the road. I, too, like it.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I also think that shouldn't be any kind of Packardinfo club.
Because there has been no club running this site, is what has made it such success.

BIGKEV had the wisdom to start this site, and had help from four rouges laying the ground work for this site. This with the help of many persons and their donations have help make this the best Packard site on the web.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/20 21:40
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Several here would agree those four might be Quote:
four rouges
but unless they really are rouges, they might see themselves as rogues. ;>)

thxn, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/11/20 22:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved