Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: new fangled voltage regulator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
As nice as the clover regulator looks, I'll be staying with the mechanical type. Too much money right now. I've got a SMP (Standard Motor Products) 12v 25 Amp regulator on it's way.
I'm pretty sure as long as voltage and max amperage of the regulator match the generator, then it is no problem to use a common part. (Could somebody use a Autolite reg on a Delco gen? I don't know)
-I suspect that the regulator I have on the car now is regulating to too high a voltage. Measuring with my sears electronic multi meter I was seeing up to 15 volts, which I believe to be too high. I may also install a volt meter in the car so I can see if it's getting into over/under voltage situations.
Happy Packarding!

Posted on: 2016/12/2 6:36
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Specification for charging voltage ranges are (1) 14.25-14.75 for AutoLite, and (2) 13.8-14.8 for Delco. These on the high side are quite close to the 15 volts you noted; the voltage can be adjusted by adjusting the air gap (see Service Manual for details).

I don't have a feel for Standard Motor Products quality these days but "back in the day" they were excellent, their Blue Streak ignition points were considered by many to be better than factory OEM.

Posted on: 2016/12/2 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Most likely the Clover transistorised is just some common place modern v-reg used in a modern alternator. They seem to mention Lucas Prince of Darkness quite often at the website.

We need to figure out what circuit board is used and build our own for probably ten bucks or less.

Posted on: 2016/12/2 12:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
It would be cool to be able to build your own regulator, but I dont think it could be from parts of a modern alternator. I'm not about to tackle that engineering challenge. The basic function and controll of generators and alternators are pretty
different. I think the guy selling the clover regulator did quite a bit of homework to develop that thing.
I will check the function of the voltage reg cutout and try to adjust it back to spec before I replace the regulator I have now. It has a good 10 years of service on it 😀

Posted on: 2016/12/2 15:32
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved