Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Shutter Thermostat Mods
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
David, glad to hear of your success. "Ether" is the name for a very large group of compounds, all ethers. Do you happen to know which specific ether you used?

Posted on: 2017/12/24 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The "Ether" used was the same as that used for anesthetics, It is not readily available here in Australia however I was able to obtain a very small quantity from someone working in a medical laboratory.
I had been told that the bellows were originally charged with ether and when I opened the hole in the bellows I think I could detect a faint smell of ether.
It is possible that methylated spirits would also work.

Posted on: 2017/12/24 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps then it was diethyl ether, perhaps the most common of the family. Pretty dangerous stuff!! Extremely flammable (flash point well below 0) and IIRC it can form explosive peroxides on prolonged storage.

Automotive Restorations here in NJ rebuilds the earlier style Sylphon, next time I'm there I'll ask what fluid is used.

Posted on: 2017/12/24 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
So we better delete that recommendation!!
Is there something else , less dangerous, that would provide a similar liquid to gas volume increase at about the right temperature.
The difficulty would be in getting the correct quantities so that the bellows open at the correct temperature.
Mine tend to open prematurely so maybe I should have used less ether. The car still warms quickly so its not a practical problem.
Digressing a little Restoration Supply Co. have in line thermostats for the water circuit that fit into the radiator hose in cases where an original type is not available

Posted on: 2017/12/24 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Methyl alcohol is a readily available liquid that can be used in sylphon bellows type thermostats.

Link and attached file, for a good "how to" description.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/thermostat-1.cfm

Attach file:

pdf Size: 345.41 KB; Hits: 133

Posted on: 2017/12/25 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
That is excellent information , thanks or posting it.
I had another 1929 Packard 633 that had a Sylphon thermostat with cracked bellows so it was beyond repair.
I made a new thermostat driven by a Tridon Type TT8800 -170P thermostat. This is a modern wax filled thermostat, tiny by comparison with the original Sylphon unit. I was told that its application was for large Caterpillar diesel engines.
I made the housing from brass for ease of machining on my small Myford lathe.
It has been in use for some years now and works well.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 77.31 KB; Hits: 251

Posted on: 2017/12/25 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
A little more information on making a new shutter thermostat, although my previous posts were for a 1929 Packard, I believe the modern Tridon thermostat could be adapted to drive a shutter thermostat for any model Packard providing a housing is made to suit using the key dimensions of the original. The attached photo and previous sketch are intended as an example of what could be made.

Attach file:

jpeg  (486.32 KB)
579_5a418c7218959.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (282.64 KB)
579_5a418ccd8c570.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/12/25 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My alternative method: I had good luck manually operating the radiator shutters on my 39 Cadillac 60 Special with a choke/throttle cable. Disconnected the failed thermostat and connected the cable wire to the shutter operating lever. Mounted the knob end of the cable under the instrument panel with a shop made bracket using existing holes. This "fix" looked good and worked well. However, after some time I bit the bullet and got the proper rebuilt thermostat. An inexpensive and easy alternate fix. JWL

Posted on: 2017/12/26 12:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Alan Macaulay
See User information
32model901,
Exactly what I'm looking for, thank you very much for that link !

DavidM, I cannot access your photos

JWL, I might do that for a temporary 'solution' :)

And thank you all for your replies !

Posted on: 2017/12/28 20:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Alan Macaulay
See User information
My '39 is now in the Registry ;)

Posted on: 2017/12/28 21:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved