Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Olds oil pump conversion comments??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keith's right, it should be referred to as the "Olds oil pump conversion, as there are other oil pump manufacturers out there besides Melling that make Oldsmobile oil pumps.

Standardization of the name now will make it easier for those in the future to figure out what we've done.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 8:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Melling oil pump comments??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Summit racing lists the 22FHV for a wide range of Oldsmobile engine & model combinations from 1964-1990.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 8:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Olds oil pump conversion comments??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Correct, but It's still called the "Olds oil pump conversion". Calling it the "Melling oil pump conversion" is a little ambiguous.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 8:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard-to-Olds oil pump conversion comments??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Regarding the question of "automotive application", when I ordered this kit back in September 2006, I was merely told that:

Quote:
You need to buy locally:
Melling #M22FHV 350/455 Olds pump and #M22FHVS pickup & screen

I cannot recall the model year range shown in the Melling catalog at the local parts store, but they did offer both standard and high-volume versions of the Olds V8 oil pump. (BTW, the numbers I posted previously were quoted straight from the Melling cartons.)

The only thing the GM parts books show for the Olds V8 is the stock oil pump, which is DISCONTINUED. While I did find a listing a for high-volume pump (P/N 22532198) for the Olds V8 (all 307-455) in a 1998 edition of the GM Performance Parts catalog, it is also DISCONTINUED, and I have no way to tell who made it for them.

Do other suppliers still offer a high-volume pump for the Olds V8? Is so, how about providing some alternate numbers and feedback on their use.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 9:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone know someone who owns or has a good relation with a Napa store? When I was going to order the Melling 22FHV, they had a crossover number and different mfg for that application. Since it was different, no pictures, and the instructions on conversion and pan clearance were specific, didn't take a chance because of the special order and restocking fee. Maybe that would be worth checking out because of the multitude of Napa stores around. In addition to calling it the Olds conversion, also pick a base model and year as a starting point for prominent display in the x reference.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The pump you looked at at NAPA was probably a Sealed Power pump. It's the same thing, just a different manufacturer. I'd bet it would fit. As long as you go order a pump for a 455 Oldsmobile, you'll get the correct pump. It's too bad that Kevin's x-ref doesn't include the option to add pictures, as I'd post the part numbers and a pic of the oil pump for the conversion. This is the pump that everyone should be getting:

----------------------------------------------------------LINK----> High Volume Oldsmobile pump

This is the Melling oil pump, any oil pump that fits an Oldsmobile engine will work, just try to get the high volume version, it'll help out with such a big engine, even if it's a "little" Packard 320.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.66 KB)
34_466f3a7e77e7c.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2007/6/12 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Randy, when do u plan to install the pump ???

Posted on: 2007/6/12 21:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, I didn't understand your original question. The conversion says to buy a Melling M22FHV pump and 22FHVS screen oil pickup. I did that, so why are you questioning whether I bought the proper pump? I may install it in the Caribbean after I plastigauge the bearings. That's why I initially asked for comments on this pump. I didn't want this thread to wander off discussing some other pump someone might have bought. Is anyone else running this conversion and do you have an opinion to express?

Posted on: 2007/6/13 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'm kinda waiting to install the Olds pump when I rebuild the 374, since I plan on using Craig's full flow conversion idea, utilizing the original oil filter placed on the rear passenger side head.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Randy. The M22FHV pump and 22FHVS screeen is correct. That is exactly what i am runing.
BE SURE to look at the BOTTOM PLATE of the pump. U should see the shaft turning in the bottom plate when u turn the shaft from the top.

My emphasis on refereing to this pump as an OLDS HEAVY DUTY pump is FOR clarity. Simply refering to it as a "Melling pump" means nothing other than it is something that Melling produced.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 21:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved