Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Top Speeds
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
there is various RPM calculators on the internet that will tell you your speed and rpms. Just add your rear ratio tire size and overdrive ratio it will tell you how fast. Some of them are easier to use than others.

Posted on: 2023/2/18 4:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Sure, I'll play.

Vehicle: 1946 Clipper Deluxe.

Engine: rebuilt 282 with around 700 miles on it. The former owner put in a Kanter master kit, so it has new innards.

Transmission: Packard 3-speed standard - no overdrive.

Differential: stock.

Back East, there is a radar device in constant use on the road past the airport. The speeding meter shows as about 2 MPH slower than the car display between 45 and 55 MPH. So I think that what I observe on the dashboard is pretty close to what I'm really going when driving.

The car pulls nicely from whatever RPM by simply applying more throttle.I have taken mostly flat curves at 20 in high and gone right along. It's happy and sounds decent at the aforementioned 45-55. It starts sounding a touch frantic over 60, so I suppose that Double Nickels is plenty fast enough until an o/d unit takes up residence behind the engine.

Posted on: 2023/2/18 16:44
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
'mute' ...the dickens you say. Better get the dictionay out!

Posted on: 2023/2/19 3:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Had a longer drive today and drove about an hour non-stop, cruising somewhere between 45-50 most of the time (couple of 35-40 mph town slowdowns). Crept up to 55-60 a few times as well when I wasn't watching too close. Of course, found the speedometer runs about 2 mph faster on the car than reality and maybe closer to 4 mph faster above 48 mph on the car but that doesn't surprise me. I may or may not have run a red light today at a town square instead of trying to stop on a dime.

Posted on: 2023/2/19 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I have owned a 1939 120 sedan for over 40 years. It has the 282 ci with OD.
I have driven it thousands of miles. It has been driven from Colorado to both coasts. My last long trip was to Yellowstone NP (1000+ mile Round trip, picture of Packard in front of Lake Yellowstone Hotel).

I can drive the Packard for hours at 65 mph. It is just loafing along.
I can drive it at 75 mph for over and hour but it will slowly start to heat up. If I slow down to 65, the temp will drop back to normal again.
I once drove it briefly at 95 mph just to see what it could do.

Another speed story: I had a friend named Sarah who owned a 1937 120 Convertible Sedan. In her garage, she had a framed traffic ticket that she got for driving over 80mph in a 65 mph zone.

Attach file:

jpg  lake yelllowstone hotel packard 1939.jpg (258.64 KB)
1136_63f827a65ed7f.jpg 1638X1112 px

Posted on: 2023/2/23 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
That almost sounds like a challenge. See how fast you can go over and get an actual ticket in your Packard. Might not want to try it school zones though.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 22:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved