Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

Jack Vines, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Engine & Gearbox Rebuild
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tigeress1517
See User information
As for the revving higher and lower, no she did not, just wouldn't transfer into 2nd or overdrive. I did have previous issues where she would not go into reverse and after disconnecting the battery and letting her sit for a little bit, she came good. I have syphoned the gas tank and will put 98 octane in and see if that helps, if not I will look at the oil pump.

Posted on: 7/8 10:01
Jazz

'56 Packard Patrician

1956 Packard Patrician
Perth, Australia
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Good deal. In the grand scheme of things the oil pump upgrade is not very expensive—around $400 USD. Cheaper than any engine repair. However the process to remove the oil pan is somewhat involved. It is explained in the engine section though; you can print that off and give it to your mechanic.

I would highly suggest if you can have someone some along next time you drive and record a short video, then upload it to YouTube and post the link here. So we can hear the noise it is making.

The Ultramatic I think the shaft needs tightened and the pan inspected. I will send instructions later, just remind me if I forget.

Posted on: 7/8 10:16
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day All, I just want to add my little bit about fuel over here in Oz. I have a '56 Patrician and went on a 200Km run (about 120 miles) last week in rural hilly country in Victoria, and filled up with 91 fuel before heading out. I experienced no problems whatsoever and the car is running as good as it ever has with plenty of power available. Also, I still have more than a half tank of fuel remaining. The only problem I've had with 91 in years gone by was when I filled up with Shell and experienced a lot of pinking. Since then I only use Caltex or BP and have had no further such problems. Cheers, John

Posted on: 7/13 22:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tigeress1517
See User information
Hi Everyone,

So i have emptied the fuel tank out and replaced with 98 octane,(I didn't think I had any issues running her on 91) got her running, filled up the oil as it was a little low, she is still sounding like a sewing machine. The oil pressure gauge on the dash stayed relatively dead centre, even when revving the engine it did not move past centre, unlike the generator gauge which fluctuated when revving.

I have attached a small video for all to view and listen too.

I might just do the oil pump conversion to save any issues and at least it will be done and another thing I do not have to worry about.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xra0YOq4N1w

Posted on: 7/14 1:46
Jazz

'56 Packard Patrician

1956 Packard Patrician
Perth, Australia
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Just a quick comment before you start tearing it apart and that’s to find out where the noise is coming from. Maybe invest in an automotive stethoscope which has a rod to touch to different areas of the engine while listening and it will be clear when you’re getting closer to the noise.

For oil pressure, it could be a faulty gauge or sender so get a mechanical gauge and connect it temporarily under the hood (someone else would have to say where to connect it) to see what the pressure actually is.

Water pumps can also make odd sounds when their bearings are going out and the same with the generator.

Posted on: 7/14 3:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ok, at least that noise is definitely not pinging. The question is, what is it...

First of all, what is your oil level? Obviously it needs to at least be above the Low mark. Remember to wipe the dipstick then pull it again as there is residual oil in the tube that can throw off the reading. One way to "diagnose" a worn oil pump is to simply fill the oil to the full mark, then add 1 quart extra. Generally, in the case of a worn pump, this will greatly improve the oil quality (i.e. eliminate aeration in the oil).

It's unlikely, but possible, that the factory oil pressure gauge is reading incorrectly. If you just turn the ignition on, but don't start the motor, does it read nothing, or does it instantly move up the scale? Next to the factory oil level sensor, which is in the valley of the engine in the rear, next to the distributor, is a spare iron plug where a second oil pressure gauge can be installed. You may want to add one. Most people mount it under the dash. FWIW, that factory gauge is showing about 50-60 PSI.

By the way, the oil pressure is designed to not get above a certain amount. So unless the engine is warm, i.e. with lowered oil pressure, revving the engine won't bump it up.

Click to see original Image in a new window

For the oil pump conversion, once people do them they often remove the engine vacuum hose and balancing valve. Can you take a decent picture showing the circled area on the firewall? It's possible you could already have one.

To me this sounds like lifter noise. Assuming that is the case, then checking the engine sound and oil pressure when the oil is 1qt overfull will likely narrow things down. Any decent old car mechanic should be able to check this for you. Remember to write down the oil pressure reading for your (our) reference. If these things don't help any, then I would think you just have a failed lifter.

Don's suggestion of you (or your mechanic) using a sounding rod is a very good one. Another possibility could be a crankshaft knock, but those tend to have a much more distinct sound. Again, any competent mechanic should be able to at least find the location of the noise.

Posted on: 7/14 9:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packardbill
See User information
You definitely have overhead noise. Lifter and valve stem/rocker arm clearance issues. This could be caused by poor oil pressure, stuck lifters, collapsed lifters, worn cam lobes due to lack of lube. You do not have connecting rod, wristpin, or crank noise. You definitely need to check oil pressure and remove your rocker covers and visibly check your rocker shaft movement and how much oil is dripping off the rocker arms.
As info, main bearing noise is a deep heavy clunking sound with rod bearing noise a lighter clunking sound. Wristpin noise is usually a "clatter" and is generally heard when backing off on the throttle. Wristpin noise generally goes away when accelerating.
Any COMPETENT mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair your issues for you, provided the parts are available. PB

p.s. I would NOT continue driving your car until repairs are made.

Posted on: Yesterday 9:54
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tigeress1517
See User information
Update

I added extra oil so that it was well above the full line. Unfortunately, I could not check the oil pressure as I could not get an electric oil pressure gauge. The dash oil pressure gauge did not move until the engine was engaged and went straight to the middle.

I believe the issue is the lifters and have added a video. I will organise a mechanic and find out their recommendations (they are currently on holiday at the moment)

I have added photos of the fire wall to show the vacuum lines and such.

https://youtu.be/Z2l0CkzIDKo

Posted on: Yesterday 23:09
Jazz

'56 Packard Patrician

1956 Packard Patrician
Perth, Australia
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Based on your vacuum line setup and seemingly good oil pressure I would venture to say that you probably already have the Olds pump as your vacuum pump line is capped off. (The thicker line cut in two with screws shoved in both ends.)

Yes, at this point I have little to suggest aside from towing it to a good mechanic. Clearly something wrong but probably nothing too bad. Clogged oil passage to one of the lifters, maybe.

Posted on: Today 6:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved