Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: A Matter of Life , And A Death.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Pat, Three thousand kilos equates to 6600lbs. so these ramps are more than adequate with a wide margin of safety especially since only one half the car is being elevated at one time. I still would not just use the ramps as mentioned if climbing under the car.
As for using the emergency brake it depends on what I am going to be doing but when possible and where circumstances permit I either use the brake or chock the wheels even with an automatic transmission car whether I use a jack or ramps.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
EDIT: I've never seen any Packard data on fore-to-aft weight distribution, but I'd take a guess at about 55:45.

I would think that pre-'51 models would be better than that since the engine sits back further. The '51-'54 models have that big straight eight sitting pretty much centered over the front crossmember, making the 55:45 or even 60:40.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was specifically thinking of the beam-axle models, but as I said it's just a guess.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
In any event the ramps are adequate since this Packard front end doesn't weigh anywhere near 6600lbs. (I would hope).

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It would be interesting to take a Senior car from the '30s, '40s, and early '50s and see just what they're weight distribution is. Now you've got me curious!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The weight of just about any front engine RWD car should be close enuf to 50/50 WITHOUT engine.

So if u know the weight of the car and the engine then good approximation can be calculated.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 21:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
OR, maybe place a jack near center on EACH side of car and trial and error the method. Probably not a good idea for HT or convertible depending on the car.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 21:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have CG for 56 hood withOUT bird.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 21:50
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pat, one problem you are going to have with ramps is what if you need to do something under the car while one or more wheels removed? Ramps will not allow that.

4 high quality (4-leg) jack-stands with a high load rating should be very safe and provide the flexibility for any type of under car repair. Just buy four, 6-ton rated jack-stands and that should be able to hold any Packard. 6 tons per pair (12,000lbs/5443kgs) or 12 tons for 4 jacks stands (24,000lbs/10886kg) @ 1 kg = 2.20462 lb

Also a good quality 3-ton hydraulic floor jack with a high lifting saddle is good to have also.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 22:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Interesting that you won't get lift. I went with a Rotary 4 post lift because I don't trust jack stands or ramps. Can only get the car up about 3 feet because of the ceiling, but that's plenty to get under the car.

Posted on: 2009/8/20 17:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved