Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 174

BigKev, Rscott77x, Packard Don, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Purist vs. Modders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
They're all Packards, anyway. I love 'em, pure or modded!...

Posted on: 2009/12/17 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
All,

Well written and I'm in total 100 % agreement. We all love these cars, so let's be polite, civil and gentlemanly to each other.

Best regards to all,

KevinAZ
Tucson, AZ
1955 400

Posted on: 2009/12/17 22:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
I guess I missed the ugliness. I do appreciate the help I get at this site. Best I've seen so far anywhere. As a nephew of a hard-core rodder, I love original cars, but I appreciate the work, art and skill that goes into any automotive projects. A job well done is a job well done. My uncle bought this 32 5-window coupe for $25 when he was just a kid back in the 50's. Look at it now. He has helped my dad & me with the '46 packard in the prep and painting and painstakingly repaired a trunk hinge that was sprung.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

PS this pic is photoshopped to show what a radical chop job would look like on it but the car is as you see.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.11 KB)
2054_4b2b8c35e4fc8.jpg 747X347 px

Posted on: 2009/12/18 9:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I couldn't agree more! I believe "Keep it Kind" would be the thought to adhere to. I think most people that get on these forum threads are mainly seeking technical assistance. There is a "thread" for opinions and such. It's called "PM"! Thanks to all for great help so far! Let us all remain gentlemen (and women for the great gals that aren't the norm).

Posted on: 2009/12/18 10:05

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

All good points. I've always felt that restorers can learn a thing or two from rodders and vice versa - provided each party respects the right of the owner to do as they please with their own property.

Perhaps you need to revise and update your "Rules of Forum Etiquette" FAQ and add a summary of the what you've said here as new point - "10) Purists vs. Modders".

To help improve visibility, I would also like to suggest that you move that particular FAQ to the "Important Topics" section of the FAQ Forum, so it doesn't get pushed down and off the first page. Then, WRT to newbie awareness, is there a way to display those forum rules as a final step in the account registration process?

One problem, however, is that when something appears on the "Recent Forum Topics" list, people may go there without checking to see whether or not the thread is in the Modifications Forum, but the website (and webmaster) can only do so much.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 11:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The problem is that there are always a few that are lot more subtle about making personal attacks. Such as claiming a lack of credential, license, engineering degree, DOT Safety training so on and so-forth. This seems to come from BOTH sides of the Modder/Purist fence.

UNreasonable safety/maintenance/service claims are also made by BOTH sides of the fence.

Splitting or anyhting that RESEMBLES splitting the modders from the Purists in the forum will only serve to limit the flow of info and ideas.

Maybe i'm the only particiapant that does not come here for the sole purpose to get a warm fuzzy feeling about Packard. Information IS information regardless of it's source OR PRESENTATION as long as it is backed up by rational and perspective claim.

The I'net is NOT a place for people with thin skin or hidden agendas. One simply never comes back. The other runs high risk of exposure. This IS the INTERNET!!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/12/18 11:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gerd -

Yes, the site search function is a valuable tool. Unfortunately, it seems to go unnoticed, and some people seem don't seem to be inclined to use it.

Perhaps a primer is needed on its use as separate FAQ post.

Any takers?

Posted on: 2009/12/18 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Randy millions of people around the world drink tea including me. It is very popular in Great Britain and Commonwealth countries like Australia and Canada.

I can recommend a big mug of hot tea with the juice of half a lemon, a spoonful of honey and a slug of rum.

This will cure any cold in the world. In fact if you drink enough of them you will be happy you have a cold.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I think whats been said here about Purist vs Modders is in general right,I think the problem whit different opinions is that sometimes we get
carried to much in to arguing and forget the main things.
We all make mistakes and I think, the best we can do is to learn from them and dry not to avoid them in the future.
Making an additional FAQ is not a bad idea, if you ask me.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 12:59
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd like to cite a somewhat benign argument that often raged, generated good dialouge as well as some minor strained relations among participants:

Consider the 6v vs 12v conversion ONLY as an example. BOTH sides of the fence give good arguments as well as fence straddlers. A great deal of information was exhibited in the 6v vs 12v threads.

In the end and regardless of any 'colorful' arguments that ensued, i think everyone learned SOMETHING in the dialouge. AND in the end it turns into individual judgement call based on the opinions AS STATED. So any individual packard owner can make his OWN decisions based on the various facts and situations presented.

It's not a smiling contest. It's a voluntary information exchange.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 13:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

« 1 (2) 3 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved