Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Alternative pistons and rods for V-8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Yes. But it is MUCH easier and cheaper and FASTER to buy an off-the-shelf local parts store piston than arrange for pistons custom made.

Why this keeps coming up is beyond understanding. I'll go on record as stating "There is absolutely, positively no off-the-shelf piston which can be used in a Packard V8 without prohibitively expensive machining and balancing!"

Quote:
For those not racing and thus for cost savings then why not use OEM or standard duty replacement Chevy 402 rods and pistons with modifications as Craig indicates??

Fifty-five years of searching the parts book and nothing is even a close fit. For starters, the OEM Chevy 402" rod is more than 1/2" shorter than the Packard, as well as narrower and smaller diameter on the big end. This OEM rod-piston combo isn't even a remote possibility of an interchange. Craig was suggesting buying custom race rods to use with the 402" pistons.

After years of research, I decided the 370" Ford truck pistons were the closest possibility. After extensive engineering design, the machine work was undertaken. The piston top deck had to be machined shorter. The pin boss had to be machined wider inside. The rods had to be ground extensively to lighten them to compensate for the much heavier pistons, then the bushings had to be removed and the pin bore honed for the Ford pin. Finally, the entire rotating assembly had to be rebalanced. Because I can do all this in-house, I did it just to see what is involved. Guarantee, buying the Ford pistons and paying a shop to do it all will cost more than the $850 for custom forged pistons.

I have two more sets of Ford truck pistons on the shelf and will make anyone who wants to go through this process a GREAT deal!

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/1/22 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Why this keeps coming up is beyond understanding. I'll go on record as stating "There is absolutely, positively no off-the-shelf piston which can be used in a Packard V8 without prohibitively expensive machining and balancing!"

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification Jack!

Posted on: 2010/1/22 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
How good or bad are stock off-the-shelf pistons from someone like Egge or Kanter? As compared to OEM for example. Just wondering.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
How good or bad are stock off-the-shelf pistons from someone like Egge or Kanter? As compared to OEM for example. Just wondering.

I would venture a guess that they're the same piston, both made by Egge. In that respect, not very good from what I hear.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe REproduction piston topic has come and gone many times. According to various web site discussion groups the final analysis of REproduction Packard V8 pistons is that they are ONLY cast Al. NOT steel struted and perhaps other short comings.

The REpops are just fine for very lite duty engine use and are therefore ok for Pebble BEach and Meadowbrook crowd. NOT UP TO OEM SPECS! NOT suitable for modern demands nor any demands that would be considered reasonable for a 'modern' V8 engine which i believe the PAckard V8 IS.

I've never used the REpop Packard V8 pistons. My claim is based on over 12 years of various discussion group analysis.

IIRC it was HH56 that had significant REpop piston problems in his Carib. Among others.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Someone correct me if i am wrong but it has been my understanding that the REpop pistons are available in SETS ONLY. AND SUCH SETS ALL IN THE SAME OVERSIZE! This presents a problem when only one cylinder needs to be bored or maybe only one cylinder needs to go out .010 more than the other 7.

Potentialy, one would have to buy as many as 7even different sets of pistons just ot get one set for one engine and left with many others setting on the shelf.

Of course as soon as i say that some anal retentive type will start barking about how one should never mix piston oversizes in the same engine. Go tell that to Chrysler eng'ring.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Kanter proposal that I put forth several years back that failed to find enough support was for pistons made to exact OEM specifications.

As to the Egge pistons, they may not be what the higher performance crowd wants or even what the rest of us would like to buy, but they are in regular use in many V8 Packards and have proven adequate for normal car driving and touring.

The few problems I've heard of re cast slug pistons are second-hand and apparently the result of folks using Packard's original skirt clearance specs rather than those advised by Egge or the piston maker.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
As to the Egge pistons, they may not be what the higher performance crowd wants or even what the rest of us would like to buy, but they are in regular use in many V8 Packards and have proven adequate for normal car driving and touring.

Define "normal". Normal for 99% of Packard owners is back out of the garage, drive onto trailer, back off of trailer, park for car show. In this sense, yes, they'll last, they never even get warmed up. Egge pistons won't stand up to what I consider "normal" driving, which is how everyone else drives their 20XX daily.

Quote:
The Kanter proposal that I put forth several years back that failed to find enough support was for pistons made to exact OEM specifications.

That's because the price of those pistons would be as much or more than a forged piston and no one was willing to do that. I can't say I blame them.

Quote:
Someone correct me if i am wrong but it has been my understanding that the REpop pistons are available in SETS ONLY. AND SUCH SETS ALL IN THE SAME OVERSIZE! This presents a problem when only one cylinder needs to be bored or maybe only one cylinder needs to go out .010 more than the other 7.

Most people when they rebuild an engine make all the bores match. Don't know about the machine shops in backwoods Kentucky, but here in Kansas they do.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 20:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
99% of Packards only go on and off a trailer? Boy are you out of touch. You need to get out and mingle in the hobby.

When's the last time you examined a set of Egge pistons that had been in a Packard engine for 45,000 miles?

We've been over this topic time and time again, and there is nothing new. I'll sign off on this one.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 20:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
IIRC it was HH56 that had significant REpop piston problems in his Carib.

Yes, this was several years ago but one piston had issues and almost seized. Damaged the cylinder and was lucky to get last few blocks home with it squeeking.

Whether this was due to the piston or to improper clearances used, I cannot say for sure. I do know machinist was not impressed with the QC as they varied a bit in size, weight & finish but also think he might have used Packard specs for clearance and not the greater number several have mentioned being needed when using cast al pistons. I don't believe there was any paper other than an invoice that came with the pistons having recommended clearances so probably did use what was customary for OEM.

Anyway, those pistons were pulled and engine bored oversize for Chrysler 413's. So far, those are fine but the car is not driven much--one of the trailer queens except mine is a driveway queen--so not a true test. Several have mentioned Egge QC has improved considerably since then.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 21:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved