Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 153

West Peterson, DJP-37-120, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What's In the Trunk?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Kevin,

That textured stuff on the inside of the wheel well looks really familiar to me. Does anyone know what it was? Looks like ceiling texture goop.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 0:33
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my eye it's most similar to sprayed-on undercoating. The problem with that is sometimes preventing bleed-thru when you paint over it. Functionally I think it's a fine substitute and certainly will help stop panel drumming and supress noise which was the intent of the original coating.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 9:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
To my eye it's most similar to sprayed-on undercoating.
Agree. It's rubbery or tar like and hard as all get out to remove. In prior years, Packard identified it as a "viscous asphaltic compound that never hardens or deteriorates".

Posted on: 2010/3/30 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
a "viscous asphaltic compound... ".

That's as good of a description of "tar" as I've ever seen. But we all know it does wear out. Inside a trunk, though, it could last pretty much forever. How it might interact with the metal or change the surface characteristics of the other side of the metal, as mentioned, would be another story.

Maybe something like insulation flocking or truck bed liner spray (if you want something 'forever") would be superior to an asphalt product. The flocking could get messy unless it was afterward coated with something.

Or, just find out what they use now, if anything.

Still wondering about the paint on the trunk floor @c. The inside of the lid is, of course, body color, but I think the floor is another story.

BTW, is the underside of the trunk lid a good place to get a paint "match" for the body color? Being in the shade almost all the time, you'd think. Or does paint fade just with pure age?

Posted on: 2010/3/30 13:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved