Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: $25 e-Ignintion
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
John (snopac),

Thanks for the Diagrams. I looks like if you had a problem with the module all you would have to do is rehook up the wire between the negative on the coil and distro, and reattach the condensor and you would be golden again.

Do the points keep their stock timing?

Posted on: 2007/11/29 16:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
John,

Another question I had, with the Pazon module, would you still need the Ballast resistor? If the points are not are not subject that voltage spike, then the ballast resistor wouldnt be required anymore would it?

Posted on: 2007/11/29 16:22
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Kev,
The point timing stays the same. The ballast resistor is still needed, the coil is designed to operate on approx 6 to 8 volts and if run on 12v will overheat and begin to fail. The ballast resistor is bypassed on starting to give a stronger spark.
John

Posted on: 2007/11/29 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is no advantage to e-ignition by using the old points type coil. Use a HIGH ENERGY coil.
If the GM module fails then just carry a spare module. Mount the module INSIDE of the car. Gm had trouble with EARLY e-ign. The fix was to coat the module terminals with silicone grease. (NOT the spray silicone). The FACTORY GM module mounted inside of the distributor cap. ALL other e-ignitions i know of have modules EXTERNAL in the engine compartment. MoPar especialy had trouble with modules. SEVERE and CHRONIC trouble. The fix is to install the MoPar module at the INTerior of the car.

It is easier to replace the module than to start rewireing points.

If u decide to go with the Pazon system besure that it can be installed INSIDE the INTERIOR of the car. NO e-ign control modules should be mounted in areas subject to moisture or quick temperature changes.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 22:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well in a perfect world, I would like to use one of those HEI Distro conversions that Eric came up with.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 22:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Erics conversion is the cleanest and easiest way to do it. But i'm guessing that the $25 conversion method is the cheapest way out with good results. I'm gonna try it on my Executive.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ask Pazon where u will neeed to go to get replacement parts for their system.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm also curious as to WHAT is inside of the Pazon "Power Booster Box". Probably a GM module with somekind of transistor or something to overcome the ign timing change needed as prescibed at the $25 web site.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
FWIW, I'm thinking of making the HEI on the Packard V8 a little easier to use, namely by using the original distributor and adding some GM HEI components. I'll keep everyone posted when I start building the 374, as it will have this. I'm thinking this way, you just swap out the points plate and some other small items, and still use the original Packard distributor housing, cap, and rotor. The cap and rotor are still easily obtainable at the local parts store. It isn't so bad with my present setup, but the machine work cost kills the project.

Posted on: 2007/11/30 3:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I have the electronic ignition kits in both 56Js, which uses the Auto-Lite distributor. So far, after about three years and 40,000 miles total on the two cars they have been problem free. I carry a stock point setup in the trunk of each car though. I have also thought about just buying a spare electronic setup to carry, but at $175 a pop I have not took the plunge yet.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/12/1 10:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved