Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 183

curpack, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

$25 e-Ignintion
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2007/11/26 7:25
 Top  Print   

Re: $25 e-Ignintion
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Thanks for the post, I think this circuit is probably similar to one of the regional projects from Pacific Northwest region of Packards International:

http://www.packardsintnw.com/regional_projects.htm

IGNITION ENERGY BOOSTER - This solid-state unit is controlled by the points. However, current requirements are less than 20 milliamps, so points will last forever. For ALL cars ? 6 or 12 volt, STATE WHETHER POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE GROUND, 6 OR 12 VOLT. $95.00

I would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with this system, it sounds like a good idea.

Posted on: 2007/11/26 8:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would be interested in knowing the how the PI works also. Does it use the GM HEI module, or something else.

Posted on: 2007/11/26 12:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One must be careful in dealing with e-ign systems. For compression ratios of less than 8:1 the e-ign is a moot point. Questionable even up to 9:1.

THE BIGGEST issue is cost vs REPLACEMENT parts!!!!! If u get stuck with somekind of special design kit or system that is not readily available at local parts stores then u r asking for towing bills and LARGE cost for new systems as well as TIME wasted waiting for parts to arrive. As with all electrical systems there is a certain infancy mortallity rate that applies too.

It is best to adhere to WELL KNOWN and WELL TESTED parts that are easily available. The GM HEI modules are abuntanly availabe. So called Custom designed and Hi-po aftermarket systems are not. Price differential is an issue too AS WELL performance controvery.

What i have stated above is a general philosphy to always keep in mind when considereing modifications of ANY type. It comes from having been tied to the whipping post too many times.

Posted on: 2007/11/26 22:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Kev,
The ignition system from Pacific NW Region of P.I. does not use a HEI unit. It is designed and manufactured by Pazon an ignition company located in New Zealand.

As far as a failure leaving you stranded, the points and condenser are still in place and reversing a couple of wire connections would restore you to the original system and you would be on your way in less then 5 minutes.

John

Posted on: 2007/11/27 11:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
John,

Thanks for the info. Would you happend to have a schematic or instruction sheet for "Pazon" unit. I think people would like to see how it hooks up and works.

It may help to answer question people may have about it.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2007/11/27 13:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Kev,
Here are the wire diagrams for the Pazon ignition, the control unit is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 123.63 KB; Hits: 68

Posted on: 2007/11/29 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
i asked the $25 e-ign webmaster about 6v applications. Following is his reply:

"I haven't tried it on a 6V, but I suspect that the circuit would work as
is. You might be able to eliminate the Zener and the 470ohm resistor.
Note that the ignition fires when the points close, not when they open
as in a normal points ignition. One of these days I intend to design a
circuit that works with normal points timing "

My recommendation is to FIRST try the $25 e-ign system using the commionly available GM control module and the wiring diagram from the web-site.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My view is probably in the minority among today's owners who like to modify their cars, and also I enjoy maintaining my car and have good mechanical skills. $95 would by enough sets of points and condensors for 40 or 50,000 miles of reliable driving, so I don't see the benefit.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
VERY TRUE Owen!!! Especialy on low CR engines. However, on the 9:1 and higher CR engines the e-ign should provide some significant gas mileage increase. That's the only reason i'm interested in it for the V8's. Especialy for those of us that drive 3K miles per year and more.

Posted on: 2007/11/29 15:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved