Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Side light or courtesy light on a 1956 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks Eric. I like the hood too. I got the car this way, and it does have some of the things that usually came in the Caribbean, like the dual carb setup with the huge double air cleaner and the wire wheels. I remember I read somewhere a long time ago that when the dealers had no Caribbeans, they could add the options to the Four Hundred including the hood, but I have no idea wether this car had the equipment added from the dealer or if it was later on in it's lifetime. Anyhow, I like it as it is now. I got a correct regular hood, in case I decide to change it. I would love that it would have the pushbutton transmission and the air conditioner... but you can't have it all, I guess.

Thanks again,
Victor

Posted on: 2010/10/25 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The pushbutton is an easy add on if you want to go that route, and I happen to know of a guy on here who probably has everything you need to make it happen, he goes by Mr. Pushbutton, and he's THE expert on the Packard pushbutton system. He's helped me out when I had a '56 Patrician, and has helped many others on this forum. Give him a shout, and he can get you started.

And I'd say that you have the '56 400 of my dreams, equipped almost perfectly!

Posted on: 2010/10/25 10:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Victor,

Great looking car I love the Carribean hood it's so much nicer, your car looks to be the same colours as my 55 400 is it original and what is the paint code, this can be found on drivers side door plate...

Dave.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Eric: Thanks for your very nice comments. On the pushbutton transmission, I don't believe I will go that route, even though I already have the pushbutton unit itself, and that is because the prior owner installed a Chrysler transmission, and by the way, it vibrates a little, so I will have to look into it soon. I did get what I believe might be the original ultramatic, but I am not sure if I have everything to go back to it, so it will continue to work with the Chrysler unit for some time.

Dave: I believe the car has always been scottish heather (not sure of spelling), though it has surely been repainted, but you can see the old paint at some points. The interior is mostly original also, in the same color leather with black cloth and some white inserts. I couldn't find the color code plate. Is there any particular place other than the one you mentioned where I could find it?

Thanks,
victor

Attach file:

jpg  (145.95 KB)
1141_4cc5ca759ed8c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/10/25 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well if you've got a 727 Chrysler conversion then there's no way to convert to pushbutton shift, unless someone modifies the bakelite finger bridge to accommodate the different shift pattern of the Chrysler trans.

OR

You could find a '64 and earlier 727 and adapt the cable pushbutton shifter over to the Packard, that's about the only way.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks Eric. No, I won't go to push button shift unless I decide to go back to the original Ultramatic, which is quite unlikely for the time being.

I will stick with the regular column shift and just try to get a plastic indicator with the correct shifting pattern (P R N D L, versus the original one).

Thanks,
victor

Posted on: 2010/10/25 16:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you checked with Carol Mauck at PI headquarters or Sierra Grove Packards on that indicator. Someone had made some of those up--not quite like the original, but decently close-- for the Chrysler conversion. There was one on a car at a PI meet several years ago but I can't remember who had it.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks HH56. I didn't know it had been reproduced but I will gladly try to look for it. It will surely be better that what I can make!
Victor

Posted on: 2010/10/25 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
On a side note, the reason why you have the vibration is the Chrysler conversion, they're well known for that.

On an old forum about Packards there was a guy who spent $3000 doing the Chrysler 727 conversion to get rid of an unknown vibration, and ended up with it still going on after spending the money. That's why I recommend anyone thinking of getting rid of the Ultramatic to seriously consider just having the original trans rebuilt, they're not bad transmissions if you have it rebuilt correctly and drive it correctly.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 20:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's Sierra Grove Packards that make the new quadrant indicator. They are the same folks that make the adapter plate for the 727.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 20:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved