Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1941 power windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks for the pic JD... and I agree with BigKev... I wouldn't mess with it either... but in case you have a spare one, without scrapping instrument, , keep me in mind.

Here is the reason: I bought my car from the second owner, who had it for around 40 years, but took it appart to restore it... he was doing a frame off restoration which he never finished. As some point along the way, he decided to substitute the hydraulic system in the car for regular electric motors, wired to 6 volts. I don't know what or where did he find the mechanisms he used, but he only did the two front doors (which by the way, work great).

When I bought the car, I found in his shop the scissor type mechanisims for the 4 windows with the pistons, but no signs of pump or reservoir.

Now, trying to finish the car, I could try to do the rear ones electrical, and forget about the trouble of the hydraulic system, but being a purist, I somehow would love to get the original system back in place. I know it would mean a lot of work, but...

Victor

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
Yep, that's exactly the same tank as on mine. It mounts next to the battery, & was in suprisingly good shape- just some minor internal rust.
This Packard had a full set of (16 yr old)Kanter window cylinders in the trunk when I got it.
Hoses should be pretty easy to have made up.
The solenoids are shot, & the cost for "new" ones is gonna sting some.
I'll get it done, bit by bit.

Right now I have to look around to see what a fuel tank goes for, if available. After getting a load of rust in my freshly- overhauled carb, I dropped the tank. Some schlemiel had "sealed" the inside - WITHOUT BOTHERING TO CLEAN IT AT ALL!!

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a thread from last year with a discussion on options including the motors possibly used on yours. If you do go original, there are some electric components aside from the switches that will also have to be sourced.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=42271#forumpost42271

Posted on: 2011/1/27 19:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks for the link to that post, particularly usefull and in a Sport Brougham. I guess I ought to think well about it before trying to go back to hydraulics! But electrics don't sound too attractive either though it seems to be the favored solution. I had thought of the Chrysler window motors (for sale on ebay) and adapting them to any window mechanism that would suit the height and width of the car's rear windows. I guess I will have to follow that path. Currently, my front windows work with the original switches, though they are using the dashboard ones only.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 20:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
While I'm repairing these windows, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this '41 window system. I have one from a 1942 shop manual & it's not quite the same as what I have one my car. Specifically I have a 3-terminal relay mounted on the firewall just above the overdrive relay. It's wired inline to one of the pump cotrol relays.
thanks

Posted on: 2011/1/28 13:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I couldn't find a schematic but from the description in that intro service counselor, I suspect the circuit is wired like the 42 is except in 41 they used a relay instead of the secondary contacts the 42 solenoid has. You mentioned the wires are inline with one of the solenoids but can you tell where the 3rd goes? Maybe to the coil of down solenoid. Down has priority so I think the relay is opening the coil wire of the up solenoid anytime down is selected.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.60 KB)
209_4d43832cb2bec.jpg 800X299 px

Posted on: 2011/1/28 21:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
AHH! Lightbulb moment! They used used the relay (or contacts on '42) as a lockout. That prevented someone from energizing both the up & down relays at the same time.
Even with a decent diagram it can be tough figuring out what a circuit is suposed to do (alot of the wires on this window system look to be the same color by now).
A system description, and a little experience really help!

Posted on: 2011/1/29 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi All:

Years ago I did a 6 volt conversion on a 20th series car that had been converted to bombay door lifts from a B-52 Stratobomber. The owner bought an entire car just for the electric motors because the B-52 thing was a disaster.

Packard 120 front door regulators accepted the motors perfectly and the results were fantastic.

For the rear doors the shop had some old window regulators from Rollson which I adapted to the rear doors. They worked okay.

I remember on the CCCA caravan somebody's windows broke and their kids threw up in the car.

Thus, I would never keep that system especially because the valves inside the body are unreliable as well.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 12:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The originals have seen a lot of years so understandable if they get a bit cranky now and then. Anyone have a take on the replacements. Maybe with modern rubber and running Dexron or maybe even power steering fluid instead of brake fluid things might work a bit more reliably -- or is that wishful thinking.

I wonder about todays repro valves and cylinders as to how they compare in quality with the originals. Ones advertised look good at least.

I bought some repros for the postwar cars several years ago that were not spectacular--almost looked like they were built in the back of a filling station and held up about that long. It was the early days though when they were just coming available so maybe things are different.

With discussions like the windows and AC, I am almost to the point of thinking that if someone with an electrical shop could find a source of non sealed 12v motors and rewind to 6v reasonably, he would have all the business he could handle. Lots rewind to original but don't know if any could or would convert a nice modern motor to work on old cars.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 14:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
The power window switch is acting weird lately, it just started doing this randomly within the past week. When I go to roll my windows down, the switch doesn't seem to work. When I press the driver's window switch, it makes this squeaking/squealing noise and when I press the passenger window switch it doesn't make any noise like the driver's switch does but it does make the lights blink in the window switches on both sides of the car. When the window switches on either side of the car decide to actually work, both windows go down fine, not struggling at all. Should I change out the window switches on both sides? Does anyone have any idea what this is?thanks

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved