Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: OIL FILTER MYSTERY
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Actually oil bath air cleaners keep the oil very clean. Much better than pleated paper filters. But it is much easier to swap out a paper filter than to clean the sludge trapped in the bottom of an oil bath air cleaner.
And many people don't swap out the paper filter till the engine quits running because of lack of air. The majority of people are just too dumb or lazy to do this.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Sea Foam is a gas and oil additive that is said to clean carbon (when used in gas) and varnish when used in oil. Some owners seem to find it helpful with tappet chatter, which is a problem with the v8s.

Possibly this is old hat to you, but one of the better tips I got here was, in the event of the dreaded tappet tango, to overfill the oil by a pint or more. Made a vast difference in my car.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 23:19
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Jim L. in OR, strongly recommend you use a new filter element. If that element has been in the car for 26 years it is dangerous. It can come apart and cause serious damage to your engine. Did I read somewhere you were using an element that came with the car? If so, same warning. Get a new one, they are cheap. The filter housing is easy enough to remove from the engine so it can be thoroughly cleaned. Good luck.

(o{I}o)

I thought I mentioned in my blog that I had changed the oil and filter element before even thinking about starting the engine. I've always wondered why automakers don't suggest changing filters with every oil change.
I'm glad you said this though because I didn't change the filter element in the power steering - which may be one reason why it seems to be assisting less than 80%. I'll change that out before anything else Sunday.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 5:27
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

patgreen wrote:
Sea Foam is a gas and oil additive that is said to clean carbon (when used in gas) and varnish when used in oil. Some owners seem to find it helpful with tappet chatter, which is a problem with the v8s.

Possibly this is old hat to you, but one of the better tips I got here was, in the event of the dreaded tappet tango, to overfill the oil by a pint or more. Made a vast difference in my car.

I posted a reply on this but it didn't take. What I said was that awakening engines that slumbered for 28 years is new to me and I need all the help I can get. My engine does have intermittent tappet noise so I'll pick up a can of this too

My thanks to Randy, JW, Owen and you, Pat for all the help.

I'm using the oil bath air cleaner, by the way - cleaned, blown dry and sitting in fresh oil.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 5:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My engine does have intermittent tappet noise

Your car is a 55, right? If so, strongly suggest you check to see if you have the 2nd generator camshaft retainer and sleeve. It's an important running change, and if you need the newer version, it's available from Jack Vines who is a regular correspondent on these pages.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Intermittent V8 tappet noise:

As STRiCTLY a Q&D and diagnostics effort try feeding the oil filter from the BACK side of the engine at or near the oil pressure sending unit. Not difficult to do.

If that reduces the period of occurence of the intermittent tappet noise or eleminates it completely then the problem is most likely a worn oil pump.

Owens recommendation for cam retainer update is a good idea to do too.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 10:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Jim L. in OR wrote:
Quote:

JW wrote:
Jim L. in OR, strongly recommend you use a new filter element. If that element has been in the car for 26 years it is dangerous. It can come apart and cause serious damage to your engine. Did I read somewhere you were using an element that came with the car? If so, same warning. Get a new one, they are cheap. The filter housing is easy enough to remove from the engine so it can be thoroughly cleaned. Good luck.

(o{I}o)

I thought I mentioned in my blog that I had changed the oil and filter element before even thinking about starting the engine. I've always wondered why automakers don't suggest changing filters with every oil change.
I'm glad you said this though because I didn't change the filter element in the power steering - which may be one reason why it seems to be assisting less than 80%. I'll change that out before anything else Sunday.

Jim, you did mention in you blog about changing the engine oil and filter before starting it. This is an important and necessary step when trying to get an engine running that has been stored for years. I think you also mentioned that you used a filter element that came with the car. If this was a new element - good, if it was an old element - bad. Personally, I would not trust an oil filter element that I did not know its age and history. Just trying to help.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/6 11:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps we've taken this topic to completion, but let me add a couple of thoughts.

The paper media in filters is of course treated paper to withstand contact with petroleum product and the pressures it encounters, but time and storage can deteriorate it, often at the glued seams and when they open, your filter just bypasses the oil w/o filtration. That in and of itself wouldn't be terrible if you changed oil regularly. But another enemy of cartridges, old and new, is moisture in the oil - we all know what water does to paper and if the element begins to pulp, that's what can clog oil passages. And to cure that, even if no damage occurs, pretty much requires diassembly of the entire engine.

The Purolator full-flow elements (L-6 and L-8) as used on the 34 and up prewar Senior engines was a real sourcing problem in the 60s thru the 90s. Those were sealed canister throw-away filters and recommended change interval was 8000 miles. Bob Turnquist would custom-make new ones for several hundred $ each, and eventually R&A and Burr Ripley came along with their cosmetic matches modified internally for modern spin-on cartridges. CCCA also offered a conversion kit that involved cutting open, silver-soldering mating threaded rings with "O" rings, and a modern spin-on. But up to that point you'd often see NOS L-6 and L-8 elements, perhaps 50 years old, going for BIG $ and selling quickly, I sometimes wonder how many engines might have been ruined by them. Since the element was full-flow and in series with the oil pump output, you couldn't eliminate the filter, so what many of us did was to open one, but the interior, and reclose it again and reinstall in the loop, just changing oil more frequently.

Sorry to have digressed, but perhaps this we be of value at some point to others.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:

Jim, you did mention in you blog about changing the engine oil and filter before starting it. This is an important and necessary step when trying to get an engine running that has been stored for years. I think you also mentioned that you used a filter element that came with the car. If this was a new element - good, if it was an old element - bad. Personally, I would not trust an oil filter element that I did not know its age and history. Just trying to help.

(o{I}o)

I'm sorry, I mis-understood. The new filter element I installed DID come with the car and I now see what you meant. The element was a new in box NAPA Goldline Filter L1006 (I think). It was one of the items that the guy I bought the car from - bought when he bought the car in '08 (whew!). Great point though about even "new" old parts.

I've recently found that even NOS can be a problem. A NOS part I bought for my '51 failed as soon as it was put in service. It was "new" - it was also 60 years old! Your point about age and history graphically demonstrated.

I can see that my reply might have seen as being a little testy. If it was, I apologize. I need and want your and Owen's advice and everyone's. It was very late when I wrote it and I was in a hurry. My German Sheppard is getting jealous of the time I spend on the computer and voices his discontent LOUDLY!

I'm off to get a new power steering filter. I knew to change of oil filter, put left a very old, used P/S filter in place.

I need watching!

Posted on: 2011/3/6 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Actually oil bath air cleaners keep the oil very clean. Much better than pleated paper filters. But it is much easier to swap out a paper filter than to clean the sludge trapped in the bottom of an oil bath air cleaner.
And many people don't swap out the paper filter till the engine quits running because of lack of air. The majority of people are just too dumb or lazy to do this.

Randy, I didn't mean to imply that the oil bath air cleaners did not do a good job, I was just wondering if their use was some incentive for Packard to consider a "partial flow" oil filtering system adequate, after having had "full flow" systems in previous engines... it's just speculation and barely if at all OT, but I get frustrated with V8 Packards now and then because of this engineering "regression" from full to partial flow (was partial any cheaper? I don't know). What about the vacuum wipers. They would seem to have been much more expensive due to the new vacuum pump location on the oil pump-- all that fuss instead of just going electric?

These are real puzzling questions to me.

Back OT sort of: Jim, thanks for mentioning the NAPA filter. I have often found that NAPA apparently believes every car automobile from 1903 on deserves to have parts in stock or available on order from them. They are often the only source I have found for what you'd think would be pretty readily available older parts.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 20:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved