Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 212

Michaelg-twelve, Packard Don, JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 windshield wiper motor questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I ordered one and esp like the illustrations. A lot of times I don't know what I'm looking at. The illustrations in the Parts Manual are very helpful, but many items are missing or done without detail. These are great. A picture book of parts.
The information, when Packard numbers are less meaningful because you can't call the factory, is valuable in contacting the OEMs, many of whom are still in business.

Here's the response I received from Trico, very helpful too.

"The 1940 Packards that we supplied used a Trico SK-32-2 vacuum motor assembly . The service motor assembly was Trico SK-32. Our records show this motor was used on the 1940 early and late versions of the closed and convertible light 6 and 8 cylinder and the early and late versions of the closed and convertible 8 and 12 cylinder .

Our records show the 1938 and 1939 closed and convertible Junior 6 and 8 used this same SK-32-2 wiper motor.

The 1938/1939 closed 1603 to 1608 and 1703 to 1708 used a different Trico vacuum motor.

We don't have records which detail all the body styles.

Ficken Sales at www.wiperman.com may be able to you."

Thanks for pointing the way.
Joe

Posted on: 2011/5/10 0:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Okay, West, Okay...I'll talk. I have installed the 1940 junior wiper motor in a 39 junior, but not a 1940 Senior, although I think the cowl and linkages are so similar that it could be done. Although Packard provided the dual action fuel pump to improve the vacuum based wiper system, and mine was performing relatively well, I had the opportunity to buy a 40 Jr. system and decided to go for it. In general, I want authenticity, but will concede if for safety and drivability improvements.

The quick summary of parts needed:
1) Motor assembly (includes cam relay that controls the wiper park position)
2) wiper transmissions: electric include push/pull rods that go up into the transmissions whereas the vacuum type use the familiar chain link style.
3) On/Off Switch: 40 had only On and Off
4) simple bracket: yes, it was custom, but nothing more than a strip of 18 gauge sheet metal bent accordingly
5) small washers to use as shims

More detail
The original vacuum motor uses a different mount than the electric, whose motor has an integral three point mounting plate. Although the mounts were different, one of the holes of the electric mount lines up perfectly with one of the original holes. The simple bracket was used to hold the motor relative the the body dash structure, which required an 1/8" hole (not visible). The adjustment of the wiper connecting rods is simple and the system works extremely well. The system was put into service on its maiden voyage and I am quite pleased with it.

I'll try to dig up the photos and post them here.
I hope this helps,
Pat

Posted on: 2011/5/10 7:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Pat.
Attached are pictures of what I have. No On-Off switch, but most everything else. Maybe a couple of extraneous parts in the box. Also the harness that Harnesses Unlimited sent with my other wiring.

The close up of the 3-point motor mount illustrates your description. Lucky those screws were too hard to get out. (Actually hot cross bun rivets.)
Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (85.29 KB)
1067_4dc94810ca0b5.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (87.05 KB)
1067_4dc948282b3ea.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (73.82 KB)
1067_4dc9483978463.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (78.42 KB)
1067_4dc94845c8d43.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/5/10 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Another piece of great info on 1940 vacuum motor windshield wipers came from JD at Max Merritt. This thread is getting comprehensive on the topic with everyone's help.

Attach file:

jpg  (210.23 KB)
1067_4dc9499facf76.jpg 1228X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/5/10 9:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Joe,
It looks like you have what you need. I see from you photos that you have, still connected to the three point mount, the original brackets that would have been part of the dash structure. Those brackets may serve well if you are working on a vacuum replacement.

It's been a few years since I made the conversion to my 39, so I don't remember exactly what the bracketry looked like once I got it right. I intentially left the vacuum mount in place in case I, or some future person, wanted to bring it back to original.

While you have the motor out, I would recommend feeding the bearings some 20 weight oil. The output end bearing is easy enough to get to...just a few drops at the shaft to bearing interface and perhaps a few drops at the 'ball and socket' interface of the bearing itself. The other end of the motor may be another story; I don't recall whether that bearing is accessible without dissassembling the motor.

Good Luck,
Pat

Posted on: 2011/5/10 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'll do it. I printed out this pdf on electric wipers as well as well.
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/StewartWarnerElectricWiperService.pdf
I'll put this next to the existing vacuum bracket in the car and take a photo.
Thanks, Pat.
Joe

Posted on: 2011/5/10 12:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I may have a NOS pair of electric wiper towers if you decide to go the electric route and do not have the desire to risk your pitted ones to the chrome grinders....Advise if you have interest and I will dig them out this weekend.
DAF. Also, I have some contacts for switch info, really just a pretty simple switch, except for getting the right threads for the escution....

Posted on: 2011/5/10 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I think I'm committed to the vacuum motor at this point. New vacuum wiper motor on its way. Towers at Oregon Plating. Depending on what the bill will be to chrome the ones in there, I might be interested. I'll know next week.

What I might try to do on the switch is to get one that twists like a light switch you twist in the same continuous direction to turn a light on and off, use a bracket to hold it to the dash similar the back-up light bracket, and thread the switch post to fit my existing knob.

But I probably one start on that until the car is finished. I also have a 1940 engine to restore and keep in reserve. So, hold that thought.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 14:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved