Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ultramatic Shift Lever Seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hello ,Do you mean put the ATV around the outside of the seal where the shaft goes into the transmission ? Or take the thing apart and squirt it around the shaft ? I was wondering if there was a way to avaid taking the unit apart .I heard something about a seal from the outside and was confused .What about trasmission stop leak that one sees at the autoparts stores /
As for the transmission fluid hole to check the level ,the gas pedal is way forward ,but I spotted a set of ramps at the auto store that are plastic and can hold 12,000 # .If I can roll the car up the little ramp and get a few extra inches of room for my fat stomack I could probably check the thing from the underside.The transmission guy said a quart of fluid makes a big big puddle that one would notice pretty quickly

Posted on: 2011/11/16 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I wouldn't trust any PLASTIC ramps. I've seen metal ramps collapse under the weight of a Camaro.
Use jackstands.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 19:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the seal has hardened or cracked or dirt was able to get in enough to roughen seal or shaft surface, doubt any of the trans stop leaks will help much. To remove the old one, the shaft will almost have to be removed to get any kind of grip or access to the seal or to avoid doing any damage to the shaft surface.

Check out the bore depth. Some have mentioned the bore on the Twin Ultras is deep enough that it is possible to leave the old seal in position and add a second seal in front. Not sure if that is the same on the older units. If it is, Napa has the seals (number is listed in post above although they may not be carried at all locations). I think they are around $10 so that might be an inexpensive option to try if you don't want to disassemble. If it doesn't work, not much out of pocket except time.

If you do try an additional seal, just be very sure the shaft surface is smooth and undamaged where the new seal lip will ride. Some RTV around the outside to bore wouldn't hurt but if the bore surface is clean and smooth, not sure if it's needed. PackardV8 has also mentioned a special type seal with enhanced properties might be available--although I don't know if he found it in that size. I don't remember the name but perhaps he has more information.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved