Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

MissDaisy , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 47 Clipper parts ID, please
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
You can run the engine without the PVC valve. I ran my taxi for several years with a downdraft tube and a pipe plug in the intake manifold without any problems except excess fumes in the car. The fumes inside the car were eliminated after the correct tubing was installed. I can not say if the PVC system was used on taxi cabs only or if it was used on 6 cyl passenger cars as well. I have not incountered the setup piped into the intake on any 48-50 eight cly cars that I have seen. My 49 taxi 6 cyl is equiped with the PVC piped into the intake like your setup. Does anyone know if this was a taxi only setup? Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/1/24 23:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I have read that the Packard taxi 6 cylinder engine had some feature that the passenger car 6 did not. Per the Packard mechanical specs the passenger car had the standard "crankcase ventilator" and the taxi had the "manifold vacuum type".
The 1947 Packard Clipper 6 4dr sedan I owned had the standard type. It was a low milage original car that I purchased from the original owner back in 1985.

Who's to say that the Packard dealer did not retrofit the engine with the taxi style ventilator. Today its called a positive crankcase ventilator(PVC).

"Ask the man who owned one".

Posted on: 2012/1/25 11:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
Thanks VERY much for all of the feedback on my parts ID request.

I now know where to install my back-up light switch, and I realize that my '47 Clipper had an early PCV valve.

As I mentioned, the PCV valve on my car has no plunger or ball to close the crankcase gases, so I went searching for a replacement part - somewhere/someplace.

After turning over a lot of rocks, I found two companies that have some NOS vintage PCV valves in-stock. I haven't installed the replacement part yet, but the fittings are the same size, so I believe that it's a "no-brainer".

By the way, both of these companies identify the PCV rig as a Kaiser Willys/Jeep part from the 1940s & 1950s.

Here's the info on the two companies:

#1). Kaiser Willys Auto Supply (in South Caroline) describes their PCV part as "Emission Control PCV Valve<br>Fits 41-71 Jeep & Willys with 4-134 engine. Item #: A6895
New Old Stock Emission Control PCV Valve. Buy them while they last. Limited supply NOS original PCV valves."

Their website is here ->http://www.kaiserwillys.com

#2). Peter DeBella Jeep Parts in Riverhead, NY. Peter's website is athttp://www.debellajeepparts.com

The website's item description athttp://www.debellajeepparts.com/m38premier.htm
says "PCV Valve This valve is always clogged or missing. Fits both M38-M38A1 and MB-GPW. $35.00"

Thanks again for all of the helpful input and assistance.

I will let you know when I have the manifolds back together and on my car, with the new PCV valve hooked-up & functioning.

Best regards,

Dave Blandford
cell 513-205-3188

Attach file:

jpg  (7.67 KB)
506_4f20512e6ff9d.jpg 125X125 px

jpg  (2.99 KB)
506_4f20532b89a3f.jpg 200X168 px

Posted on: 2012/1/25 14:16
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved